Senior Software Engineer - Ruby on Rails (Remote)
Published on May 23, 2023
Join Our Team! Gray is a human-centered digital services company with a mission to transform critical government services using design and technology. We partner with government agencies to deliver digital solutions that are purposeful, trustworthy and meet the needs of millions of Americans. We're looking for the most tenacious and mission-obsessed team members committed to nurturing a people-first culture and reimagining how the government serves its citizens. Are you passionate about untangling and redesigning government services to better serve Americans? Do you strive to do meaningful work with a company that cares about its people's well-being? In that case, Gray is the right company for you. Why Gray? Human-centric ❤️👩🏽🏫👨👩👧👦🧘🏼 Our people are our greatest asset. We are an experienced team of dreamers, doers, and change-makers devoted to doing work that matters, solving big problems, and upholding Gray's mission and values in our daily interactions. We've established a people-first strategy with an industry-best benefits package. Our culture encourages self-care, professional development, and nurturing a sense of ownership and responsibility. We believe that a happy team committed to a healthy work-life balance leads to the most successful outcomes. Impact that matters 🚀🇺🇸🏛🦾 Our mission is bold, audacious, and there's a lot on the line. The Gray team is brought together by a shared commitment and unconventional approach to untangle and redesign mission-critical government services. Our technologists have developed products to improve veterans' access to disability benefits and launched equitable human-centered digital services for U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). We partner with government agencies to take on big problems and deliver digital solutions that meet the needs of millions of Americans. Remote-first🏕👩🏻💻🏡👨🏽💻 We hire the most talented technologists from across the country and are committed to being a remote-first company. We want you to perform at your best and promise to help you feel comfortable and connected wherever you call home.
About the Role
What You’ll Do:
- Use Ruby on Rails to build modern web applications.
- Mentor and advise fellow team members, from junior developers to back-end engineers to QA testers to designers.
- Be responsible for the delivery of components.
- Share your knowledge while continuously pursuing growth and learning to keep up-to-date with modern technologies, tools, and practices.
- Collaborate across teams and time zones to make things happen and deliver production-ready code at a sustainable pace.
What You’ll Bring:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or engineering, or 8 (eight) additional years of experience in technical environments.
- Minimum 8+ years of hands-on software design and development experience.
- Expertise using Ruby on Rails at least v5 (preferably v6) along with common libraries such as RSpec or Resque.
- Good understanding of the syntax of Ruby and its nuances.
- Experience with a server-side templating language like Liquid, Slim etc.
- Experience in MVC, Mocking, ORM and RESTful APIs.
- Familiarity with development tools such as Bower, Bundler, Rake etc.. and commonly used GEMS.
- Proficiency with code versioning tools include Git and bug tracking systems like JIRA.
- Familiarity with Continuous Integration.
- Work and test with multiple browser versions (IE, Chrome, Firefox etc.)
- Must be a U.S. citizen and legally authorized to work in the U.S now and in the future without sponsorship.
What Our Team Values:
- Mission and values-driven - passionate about prioritizing Gray’s values and mission to transform how the government serves its citizens.
- Positive can-do attitude - can navigate challenges and find solutions while being tenacious, optimistic, and results-driven.
- Self-starter with a bias for action - works well without a lot of direction and thrives on being accountable to discover problems, create goals, and execute plans.
- Resilience - dependable in the face of adversity and handle uncertainty and obstacles with grace and elegance.
- Collaboration - embrace differing perspectives to make better decisions and collaborate effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Passion - strong ability to motivate and inspire people to do their best work.
- Communication - exceptional written, verbal, relationship building, and emotional intelligence skills.
- Curiosity - constant desire to learn and improve.
- Analytical thinking - in search of the truth and can dig into data to make reasoned decisions objectively.
- Integrity and selflessness - treat people with respect, take a stand yet commit even in disagreement, and are known for your candor and sincerity.
Base Salary Range
- $130,000 - 155,000 Base Salary + Benefits + Growth Potential
- Competitive Compensation - We monitor industry salaries annually and make sure we’re paying in the top tier based on skills and experience for every position at the company. Base salaries are standardized on the Colorado market (our headquarters).
- Remote-Friendly - We hire the most talented technologists from across the country and are committed to being a remote-first company. We want you to perform at your best and promise to help you feel comfortable and connected wherever you call home.
- Flexible Work Schedules - We treat our people like adults and trust you to manage your schedule. We offer flexible hours to align with your work style.
- Unlimited Vacation - Taking time off to promote health and wellness is crucial to your well-being. There are no prescribed vacation or sick day policies. If you’re feeling under the weather or need a mental health day, take time to recharge, it's good for you!
- 100% Health Coverage - We pay 100% of your medical, dental, and vision insurance premiums.
- 401k Match - Saving for retirement and investing in your financial future is important. That’s why Gray matches 401K contributions up to 6% of your salary.
- Professional Development - We want to invest in your growth and development. If you find a class, conference, or opportunity to advance your skill-set, we will help offset the cost up to $2,000.00 per year.
- Wellness Allowance -We want you to do your best work, and we know that your health and happiness are critical to making that happen. We offer up to $50.00 per month reimbursement toward whatever it is that heals you-yoga class, acupuncture--you name it!
- Publishing and Speaking Opportunities - We encourage you to be thought leaders and share your knowledge and expertise. Let's build a more interconnected, diverse, and prosperous digital services community together.
- Swag Budget - New hires receive a gift certificate to Gray’s curated online store of branded merchandise. We promise it’s quality merch you’ll enjoy. Take a peek and see for yourself. We’re regularly adding new products.
- Tech and Tools Allowance - You choose whatever technical tools you need to work most effectively. Each year, you can expense up to $500 on the tech gear and tools you need. This includes an external monitor, standing desk, 3D printer, and more.
- Mission and Public Good Impact - We are brought together by a shared commitment to do work that matters. You’ll work on projects that transform government services, strengthen national defense, and are critical to the well-being of millions of Americans.
- Work-life balance. Whether you need to take a midday run or step out to pick up your kid from childcare, we want to see your best self at Gray - that means helping you lead a healthy life outside of work.
What You Should Know:
- Federal contracts require that you be a U.S. Citizen to be eligible for employment.
- All work must be conducted within the U.S.
- You may be required to meet additional pre-employment contingencies to the extent required by applicable law at the time of hire or any time thereafter.
- Equal Opportunity & Inclusive Workplace. Gray is deeply committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and making our organization a hospital and accessible place for all individuals. Gray is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, pregnancy, disability, work-related injury, covered veteran status, political ideology, marital status, or any other factor that the law protects from employment discrimination.