Empower is the second largest 401k (retirement plan) provider in the US, and Wealthsimple launched a partnership with them in March of 2020. Together, we’ve built an Empower-branded investment experience that is supported by the Wealthsimple platform in the back-end. Our objective: encourage people that are leaving their jobs or retiring to move their savings into our joint product. Within Wealthsimple, we see this product partnership as the primary way for us to accelerate our growth in the US.
To make this product a success, we need to build new features for US clients, implement API integrations, and create automations to improve the efficiency of our operations teams. We are looking for a talented engineer who can own and operate this end-to-end experience. This is a person that is excited about a dynamic role, and collaborates well with business stakeholders and other engineering teams — both within the company and outside the company. This person will have the opportunity to work in a start-up environment within an established company, leveraging mature tools with a large amount of development flexibility.
In this role, you’ll have the opportunity to:
- Be the key player in Wealthsimple’s US expansion
- Partner with Operations, Client Success, and external technology teams to deliver solutions
- Have a large amount of autonomy over projects and business direction
- Scale a product that has already been launched
We're looking for someone who:
- Has knowledge of agile development process and understands iterative development
- Brings exceptional communication skills and effective cross-team collaboration
- Has a well-rounded development skillset and relishes the opportunity to learn new skills and leverage the skills of those around them
- Shares our passion for making financial services accessible for everyone
Skills we’re looking for:
- 3+ years of experience building web applications with Java
- An understanding of microservice architecture and distributed system design
- Proven track record of delivering well-designed and tested software
- Solid understanding of relational databases (SQL) and best practices
- Experience with mobile development and Ruby on Rails is a plus
Things you should know about our tech:
- We have a service-oriented architecture with over 100+ services
- Half of these services are Ruby on Rails, the other half is on Java/Kotlin
- The key service that supports the US product is Java-based
- We host our services on Amazon Web Services and use things like RDS, Aurora, SQS, SNS, S3, Kafka, etc.
- We have an amazing infrastructure & security team
- We follow best practices and have great tools for profiling, logging, tracing, tracking and experimenting
At Wealthsimple, we embrace difference. We believe that getting to the best outcomes requires diverse perspectives and backgrounds. We create space where all voices can be heard so that we can all do our life's best work. We’re committed to openness, curiosity and creating an inclusive culture as we know that diverse teams build better products and generate better ideas. We strongly encourage applications from everyone regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.
Wealthsimple provides an accessible candidate experience. If you need any accommodations or adjustments throughout the interview process and beyond, please let us know.