Software Engineer - Rails/React/Python
Remote - US
Interested in joining a mission-driven nonprofit company focused on building online educational tools powered by machine learning? We’re looking for full-stack engineers to help expand our product line.
At Quill.org, we’ve created an online learning platform to help middle school students, primarily lower income ones, improve their reading and writing ability. Our pedagogy is based on years of research that shows that once students understand the logic behind constructing sentences, their ability to read and write improves dramatically. Unlike common multiple-choice-based learning tools, our tools allow students to practice writing sentences and passages in their browser, while still receiving real-time, focused feedback. This is a challenging engineering problem that we use a variety of methods to solve, from simple regex to machine learning.
Some info about Quill.org:
- We were named one of Fast Company’s Top 10 Most Innovative Education Companies in 2018: https://www.fastcompany.com/40458272/this-machine-learning-powered-software-teaches-kids-to-be-better-writers
- We served over 1 million students last year and are continuing to grow.
- In April 2019, we won a grant from Google’s AI for Social Good initiative which provides us with both funding and mentorship from Google’s NLP experts.
- We’ve been funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, AT&T, Black Rock, and the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative to name a few.
As a member of our engineering team, you will be directly involved in building tools for students, teachers, and administrators. We are looking for developers who can take features from a user story to production. We are a rapidly-growing team of 20 who, pre-COVID-19, were based near Union Square in New York City. We cannot sponsor a visa at this time.
During COVID-19, we've transitioned our organization to be fully distributed. We take the health and safety of our employees very seriously. We shut down our office on Monday, March 9th, well before many companies, and will be conservative about re-opening the office. That being said, this role will start as a fully remote position, but will likely convert to an onsite role in NYC at a yet-to-be-determined date in the future.
Technologies we use heavily:
- Ruby / Rails
Technologies we are starting to use more (or will be using in the near future):
In this role you will:
- Help millions of students improve their reading and writing comprehension.
- Work with teachers, designers, product stakeholders, and other engineers to deliver software products particularly in Ruby/Rails/React.
- Work on a growing machine learning application written in Python.
- Work on a wide variety of projects from machine learning backends to React components,
- Learn to understand the needs of teachers, students, and administrators, and channel that into better products
- Help drive the technical and product direction of Quill.org. Contribute to continuous learning and improvement of our team and organizational work, systems, technology and processes.
- You have 3+ years of full stack software development experience working on team and delivering large projects.
- You believe in Quill’s mission of improving education.
- You are an independent worker who can own full projects.
- You have experience working with one scripting language in production, Ruby or Python, and experience with an associated web framework: Rails, Django, Flask, etc.
- You enjoy working collaboratively and participating in team discussions and planning.
- You have experience with the software development lifecycle, git, pull requests, code reviews, iterative development.
- You love writing tests to ensure you deliver high-quality software and experiences.
- You consider the broader impacts of your work through building accessible UI, quality & testing patterns, code readability, documentation and considering performance and data integrity.
- You value sharing knowledge, personal growth, positive feedback, and continuously improving engineering and team practices.
Nice to Have (but not necessary to apply):
- Experience with machine learning
- Experience as a teacher or in the education system.
As part of our commitment to fight for equality, we work to ensure a fair and consistent interview process. We celebrate diversity and we are committed to an inclusive work environment.
Please apply with your resume and a note about why you think you would be a good addition to the Quill.org team.