Why We Need You
As a Senior Software Engineer in Platform, you’ll help continue PagerDuty’s strategic transformation from a pure product to a platform. PagerDuty is transitioning from a set of products to a platform that consists of a set of configurable, flexible building blocks that can be leveraged to manage a variety of real-time work and real-time workflows. With that, we are increasing our engagement with partners integrating other tools with PagerDuty, consultants building bespoke solutions, and customers customizing the platform and creating deeper integrations to fit specific environments and specific workflows. Come help us kick off the new Platform group, which will consist of a new set of product development teams who are building the building blocks of the new PagerDuty Platform.
Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to help our customers better manage a variety of different types of real-time urgent work, not just in Software and IT Operations, but in a variety of other functions across the landscape of Digital Operations.In this role, you’ll play a key role in working to define and build a set of platform building blocks to manage real-time work and real-time workflows. The Platform team is working closely with other product development teams internally who will leverage these building blocks to build new products. We’re also working closely with customers and partners to better understand their needs as it comes to platform flexibility and customizability; our larger, more sophisticated customers, in particular, are asking for a high level of customizability in terms of how they manage real-time work (such as alerts, incidents, post-mortems, security events, etc).
- Design and architect the set of flexible platform building blocks that are part of the PagerDuty Platform.
- Create and implement a plan that will continue to evolve our existing architecture, micro-services, and larger services into this new platform design, over the course of multiple milestones. To use a tried and true analogy, this will be like replacing the engine of the plane while mid-flight.
- Collaborate closely across many different product development teams to validate and pressure test our new platform architecture, design, APIs, and user experience.
- Be a coach and mentor to engineers of all experience levels. You’ve been a technical leader and really enjoy mentoring and leading projects and driving technical excellence within the team.
- Participate in an on-call rotation. And yes, we use PagerDuty to manage our on-call schedules.
- You have 5+ years designing, developing, and managing customer-facing SaaS applications and web-based systems.
- You have experience working on highly available distributed systems
- You have strong experience in designing and building REST APIs.
- Experience in some or all of the following: Java, Elixir, Ruby on Rails, Kafka, React.
- Experience working in an agile environment with iterative development and fast feedback
- Public cloud engineering on AWS (preferred), Azure, or GCP platforms.
- You can participate in an on-call rotation. And yes, we use PagerDuty to manage our on-call schedules.
- You have a drive to get results without letting anything get in your way.
- You are empathetic - you can clearly communicate your thoughts and opinions to others and facilitate these technical discussions to a successful outcome.
- You can prioritize and execute multiple tasks in a highly dynamic environment with a results-oriented mindset.
- You’ve played a key role or contributing role on architecting or building a developer platform.
Not sure if you qualify?
Apply anyway! We extend opportunities to a broad array of candidates, including those with diverse workplace experiences and backgrounds. Whether you're new to the corporate world, returning to work after a gap in employment, or simply looking to take the next step in your career path, we are excited to connect with you.
Where we work
PagerDuty currently has offices in Atlanta, Lisbon, London, San Francisco, Santiago, Sydney, Tokyo, and Toronto. We offer a hybrid, flexible environment. Find balance with remote working, while also enjoying ample opportunities for in-person and virtual connection with your fellow Dutonians.
How we work
Our values are deeply embedded in how we operate and the people we bring on board. You will see our values ingrained in how we support our customers, collaborate with our colleagues, develop our products and foster an inclusive and empathetic work culture.
- Champion the Customer | Put users first to design great products and experiences.
- Run Together | Build strong teams that amplify our impact on users.
- Take the Lead | Disrupt and invent to be the first choice for users.
- Ack + Own | Take ownership and action to deliver more efficiently to users.
- Bring Your Self | Bring your best self to build empathy and trust with users.
What we offer
One way we ensure our employees are inspired to do their best is through a comprehensive total rewards approach that supports them and their loved ones. As a global organization, our programs are competitive with industry standards and aligned with local laws and regulations.
Your package may include:
- Competitive salary and company equity
- Comprehensive benefits package from day one
- Flexible work arrangements
- ESPP (Employee Stock Purchase Program)
- Retirement or pension plan
- Paid parental leave - up to 22 weeks for pregnant parent, up to 12 weeks for non-pregnant parent (some countries have longer leave standards and we comply with local laws)
- Generous paid vacation time
- Paid holidays and sick leave
- Paid volunteer time off - 20 hours per year
- Bi-annual company-wide hack weeks
- Mental wellness programs
- Dutonian Wellness Days & Midyear Wellness Week - scheduled company-wide paid days off in addition to PTO and scheduled holidays
HibernationDuty - a week each year when everyone at PagerDuty, with the exception of a small, coverage crew, is asked to take a much needed break to truly disconnect and recharge
PagerDuty, Inc. (NYSE:PD) is a leader in digital operations management. In an always-on world, organizations of all sizes trust PagerDuty to help them deliver a better digital experience to their customers, every time. Teams use PagerDuty to identify issues and opportunities in real time and bring together the right people to fix problems faster and prevent them in the future. Notable customers include Cisco, Cox Automotive, DoorDash, Electronic Arts, Genentech, Shopify, Zoom and more.
Led by CEO Jennifer Tejada, two-thirds of the PagerDuty board is classified as non-white, with women making up nearly half of all board members. We strive to build a more equitable world by investing 1% each of company equity, product, and employee volunteer time.
PagerDuty is Great Place to Work-certified™, a Fortune Best Place to Work for Women, and a top rated product on TrustRadius and G2.
Go behind-the-scenes @PagerDuty on Instagram.
PagerDuty is committed to creating a diverse environment and is an equal opportunity employer. PagerDuty does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, parental status, veteran status, or disability status.
PagerDuty is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in our job application process. Should you require accommodation, please email [email protected]
and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs.
PagerDuty uses the E-Verify employment verification program.