Ruby on Rails Developer
Remote - Anywhere
We are an operator-investor group that brings experience, capital, and talent to bold ideas. Our teams utilize time-tested approaches, strategic thinking, story-driven design, and rock-solid engineering to bring digital & physical products to market, including IoT, blockchain applications, AI, and other emerging technologies.
Every member of Prota is expected to bring a genuine entrepreneurial spirit to the table; many of our product ideas are generated internally and brought to market in collaboration with our incubation partners, which include both large enterprises and new founder teams.
This is a remote, full-time position, starting with a contract evaluation period. We are a remote and distributed organization with teams centered mainly around Chicago and Seattle.
Importantly, we include our team members in much more than just their domains of work. We value human flourishing, education, and a multidisciplinary approach to problem solving. We strive to include everyone - as they are available/interested - in all aspects of business development, design, engineering, and marketing across our organization.
About Prota Studios:
Prota Studios is not a typical consulting agency. As a key part of the Prota ecosystem, Prota Studios exists to support entrepreneurs of all stripes, from solo founders to “intrapreneurs” looking to innovate within larger corporations. Accordingly, our approach to engagement structure is extremely flexible. Some projects may be more traditional, cash-only consulting engagements, while others may involve equity and other incentive alignment mechanisms.
Additionally, we use a portion of Prota Studios’ margin to invest directly back into the entrepreneurship ecosystem, providing early funding for founders to rapidly experiment with new ideas and concepts. This is a core part of the Prota Studios mission and serves as another way we support entrepreneurs and founders at every stage of their lifecycle.
As a Ruby on Rails Developer, your primary responsibilities include:
- Develop server-side architectures and APIs with Ruby on Rails, leveraging best-practices
- Architect databases (primarily PostgreSQL) and data I/O from 3rd-party APIs
- Setup DevOps infrastructures (AWS/Heroku/Firebase)
- Ensure responsiveness, performance, and scalability of applications
- Work with small teams of developers and designers - in collaboration with other managers and stakeholders - to bring a project to completion.
- Participate in the overall application lifecycle while focusing on coding and debugging
- Build high-quality, reusable code
- Troubleshoot and debug applications
- Stay up to date with current best practices
- Build UI tests, unit tests, and integration tests
- Collaborate with a multidisciplinary team of entrepreneurs
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Entrepreneurial drive and proven product sensibilities: we regularly create, develop, and work with startups
- 5+ years of experience as a back-end developer, including at least 3+ years of experience with Ruby on Rails
- In-depth understanding of web development
- Critical thinker and problem-solving skills
- Team player with an attitude of “leaving the campsite better than we found it” and “we’ve got each other’s back” state of mind
- Good organizational and time-management skills
- Participation in regular project stand-ups even with potential time zone challenges
- Meet project deadlines
- Effectively communicate with peers, superiors, and stakeholders
- Make rational, logical decisions and the ability to defend them to your peers, superiors, and stakeholders.
- Take responsibility for your work and mistakes.
Life at Prota / Benefits:
We are a fully remote organization, with team members around the world. While the plurality of the organization spends some time in Chicago, there is no location requirement as long as you have a space to work and a good internet connection. We normally meet in person 1-2x per quarter, which may necessitate travel depending on your location.
With Prota, you’ll be able to control your own destiny with a compensation model that allows you to work flexible hours on a wide variety of projects, get exposure to multiple disciplines outside of software engineering, and have the opportunity to earn equity in startups.