Sr. Software Engineer, Connected Stores
Published on December 13, 2022
We're transforming the grocery industry
At Instacart, we invite the world to share love through food because we believe everyone should have access to the food they love and more time to enjoy it together. Where others see a simple need for grocery delivery, we see exciting complexity and endless opportunity to serve the varied needs of our community. We work to deliver an essential service that customers rely on to get their groceries and household goods, while also offering safe and flexible earnings opportunities to Instacart Personal Shoppers.
Instacart has become a lifeline for millions of people, and we’re building the team to help push our shopping cart forward. If you’re ready to do the best work of your life, come join our table.
Instacart is a Flex First team
There’s no one-size fits all approach to how we do our best work. Our employees have the flexibility to choose where they do their best work—whether it’s from home, an office, or your favorite coffee shop—while staying connected and building community through regular in-person events. Learn more about our flexible approach to where we work.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are investing heavily in the next-generation of our services. At our velocity and volume-level we need the ability to deploy new products and features faster and better. That’s our choice for the traditional 3-dimensional engineering trade-off decision. Come help to build the best new user experience anywhere. We are creating new architectural designs and new services that couple best-in-class engineering with highly-informed business knowledge.
ABOUT THE TEAM
Instacart has a four sided marketplace, and we have roles open within each of our Engineering orgs. In our interview process we will evaluate how your skills would fit within one of these teams, and match you with the role(s) that are best related to your interests and abilities.
ABOUT THE JOB
- We work in small teams with significant ownership and autonomy over your project
- Design, implement, and ship high quality features with a strong sense of urgency and accountability
- Work closely with product managers, designers, data scientists, and peer engineering teams to define project requirements and execution plans
- Ensure that system designs including APIs, deployment architecture, and dependency selection result in highly scalable, robust solutions that minimize support costs and improve an outstanding customer experience
- Contribute broadly to Instacart’s success by exercising your freedom to suggest and drive organization-wide initiatives
- A strong sense of ownership
- Self-motivation and an enjoyment for a startup environment
- Solid understanding of common back-end Web technologies in a production environment
- An ability to balance priorities with shipping high quality and pragmatic solutions
- Experience working with a large codebase shared with multi-functional teams.
- Strong knowledge of SQL
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, computer engineering, electrical engineering or equivalent work experience
- Do you have exceptional experience with, skills for, or just interest in any of the following software engineering areas?
- We are looking for someone who has a good mix of the following traits:
- Experiment frameworks and data driven approach to development
- Authentication: SSO integration, flow optimization, security and more
- SEO: Top of the funnel optimization, Log analysis, Crawl Optimization and more
- Instacart's technology is constantly evolving and adapting. Some of the technologies you would use in our teams at Instacart include:
- Ruby on Rails framework using Sorbet for strong-typing
- Client-facing flexible APIs exposed via GraphQL
- Postgres and Snowflake backend relational data stores
- Async durable event handling infrastructure including async RPC via AWS SNS/SQS, RabbitMQ
- Caching and durable job dispatching using Memcached and Redis
- Auto-scaling elastic service deployments built on AWS ECS, ALBs, and supporting cloud services
- Rich monitoring and alerting infrastructure built on AWS Cloud Watch, DataDog, Sentry, OpsGenie and supporting services
- Any new integrations you will research, propose, implement, and deploy!
Join us and help Instacart grow!
Accommodations & Accessibility
At Instacart, we strive to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates. If you need assistance submitting an application through our career site due to a disability, please submit an Accommodations Request Form and someone from our team will reach out soon to see how we may be able to assist.