Senior Backend Software Developer
Published on May 25, 2023
Wealthsimple is a financial services company on a mission to help everyone achieve financial freedom by providing products and advice that are accessible and affordable. Using smart technology, Wealthsimple takes financial services that are often confusing, opaque and expensive and makes them simple, transparent, and low-cost. With over 1 million people using Wealthsimple products, we are the market leader in Canada, and we’re fast-growing in the US and UK. Our team is working together to build one of the most innovative fintech companies in the world and we're looking for talented people who want to help us move fast, ship often and make a huge impact. Join us on our mission to make financial services simple and affordable for everyone!
Wealthsimple is on a mission to help everyone achieve financial freedom. Using smart technology, Wealthsimple takes financial services that are often confusing, opaque and expensive and makes them simple, transparent, and low-cost. We're the company behind some of Canada's leading digital financial products.
Our team is reimagining what it means to manage your money. Smart, high-performing team members will challenge you to learn and grow every day. We value great work and great ideas — not ego. We're looking for talented people who love a fast-paced environment, and want to ship often and make an impact with groundbreaking ideas.
We’re a remote-first team and output is more important than face time, so where you choose to work is up to you — as long as you have internet access, you can work from anywhere in Canada. Be a part of our Canadian success story and help shape the financial future of millions — join us! Read our Culture Manual and learn more about how we work.
Our Tech Stack:
- We have a microservice architecture with over 100+ services — roughly half of them in Ruby on Rails, with the other half being Java/Kotlin
- We host our services on Amazon Web Services and use things like RDS, Aurora, SQS, SNS, S3, Kafka, etc.
- We are currently evolving our architecture to adopt event-driven design with Kafka as well as using GraphQL APIs to represent our data model
- We have support from infrastructure, security, and developer tools teams with a mission to help us work smarter
- We follow the latest best practices and have great tools for profiling, logging, tracing, tracking and experimenting
- We have a Redshift based data warehouse that integrates data from our back-end that allows you build tight feedback loops between what you ship and how it impacts your feature, your product and the overall company
- Exposure to frontend applications built in React/Redux, and we’re working towards a micro-frontend architecture
Within 1 month, you’ll:
- Learn about the foundations of Wealthsimple, and our current goals for the future that you will start to shape
- Meet other new Wealthsimplers in your onboarding group and key people from each department, to start to build relationships across the company
- Gather an understanding of our technology by pair-programming with your teammates and attending engineering onboarding sessions designed and presented by your peers
- Have an assigned buddy within your team that will assist you in getting up-to-speed with our architecture and current projects
Within 3 months, you’ll:
- Learn Wealthsimple’s technical stack and apply our development patterns and best practices through your work
- Buddy up for your first on-call rotation to help identify and resolve production issues and bugs clients have experienced
- Contribute and support work in a new or existing product and share your work with the team
- Learn how to query our data to measure the impact of your work
- Support over a million clients on their financial journey by shipping your first project or feature in a secure, and scalable way
Within 6 months, you’ll:
- Reliably ship new features to our clients, following our best practices such as shipping daily, writing automated tests and monitoring
- Contribute to or lead the technical design of a project, while understanding how it will shape our future architecture
- Collaborate with other developers on the team while mentoring and providing continuous feedback via code reviews
- Develop a big picture perspective and understand how our tools and frameworks come together. You’ll feel comfortable contributing to various codebases
Within 12 months, you’ll:
- Lead your first project: planning, scoping and regularly communicating progress to stakeholders to ensure the quality and timeliness
- Have provided leverage to our development teams by shipping new best practices and tools for all to benefit from
- Contribute to one of our development initiatives and working groups: Security, Mentoring, Accessibility, DE&I
- Participate in our hiring process and shape the growth of the Developer team
At Wealthsimple, we are building products for a diverse world and we need a diverse team to do that successfully. We strongly encourage applications from everyone regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status. Wealthsimple provides an accessible candidate experience. If you need any accommodations or adjustments throughout the interview process and beyond, please let us know.