Senior Software Engineer, Platform (Remote)
Published on May 27, 2023
AllTrails is the most trusted and used outdoors platform in the world. We help people explore the outdoors with hand-curated trail maps along with photos, reviews, and user recordings crowdsourced from our community of millions of registered hikers, mountain bikers and trail runners in 150 countries. AllTrails is frequently ranked as a top-5 Health and Fitness app and has been downloaded by over 30 million people worldwide.
Senior Software Engineer, Platform
AllTrails is the most trusted and used outdoors platform in the world. We help people explore the outdoors with hand-curated trail maps along with photos, reviews, and user recordings crowdsourced from our community of millions of registered hikers, mountain bikers and trail runners in 150 countries. AllTrails is frequently ranked as a top-5 Health and Fitness app and has been downloaded by over 40 million people worldwide.
Every day, we solve incredibly hard problems so that we can get more people outside having healthy, authentic experiences and a deeper appreciation of the outdoors. Join us!
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Contribute to the architecture and design of new and existing services
- Work across our stack including Ruby on Rails, MySQL, Redis, AWS, and Kubernetes
- Take end to end ownership and responsibility for architecture, deployment, and maintenance of product features
- Coordinate tasks with your teammates and collaborate with the entire company to refine requirements to deliver the best product to our customers
- Analyze and optimize server-side APIs and build pipelines for efficiency and performance
- Work with applications that use Docker, Kubernetes, and CI/CD tools
- Identify and squash bugs
- 5+ years software engineering experience
- 2+ years Ruby/Rails, Python/Django or similar experience
- Familiarity with the entire stack - web servers, the application layer, caching, databases
- Proficiency with high-throughput distributed systems hosted on AWS
- Experience with Monitoring, Logging, Reporting and Alerting frameworks like New Relic and Datadog
- Understanding of MySQL, PostgreSQL, or other relational and non relational databases
- Proficiency with Git/Github or other distributed version control systems
- Self-motivation and a deep sense of pride in your work
- Curiosity, humility, and open-mindedness
- Passion about web technologies and AllTrails’ mission to connect people to the outdoors
- Humility, empathy, and open-mindedness - no egos
- Experience with authentication standards such as OAuth 2.0 or JWT
- Familiarity with machine learning or concepts related to generative AI
- Exposure to AWS services like Lambda, SQS, SNS, DynamoDB, RDS, EKS, Neptune
- Terraform and other Infrastructure as Code tooling
- Experience with Google Cloud Services
- Experience with Elastic, Algolia, or similar tools
- Familiarity with Docker, Kubernetes, and CI/CD tools
What We Offer:
- A competitive and equitable compensation plan. This is a full-time, salaried position that includes equity.
- Physical & mental well-being including health, dental and vision benefits.
- Trail Days: First Friday of each month off to hit the trails!
- Unlimited PTO.
- Flexible parental leave.
- Annual continuing education stipend.
- Discounts on subscriptions and merchandise for you and your friends & family.
- An authentic investment in you as a human being and your career as a professional.
Nature celebrates you just the way you are and so do we! At AllTrails we’re passionate about nurturing an inclusive workplace that values diversity. It’s no secret that companies that are diverse in background, age, gender identity, race, sexual orientation, physical or mental ability, ethnicity, and perspective are proven to be more successful. We’re focused on creating an environment where everyone can do their best work and thrive.