Our Mission and Opportunity
Early education is one of the greatest determinants of childhood outcomes, is a must for working families, and has a lasting social and economic impact. Brightwheel’s vision
is to enable high quality early education for every child — by giving teachers meaningfully more time with students each day, engaging parents in the development of their kids, and supporting the small businesses that make up the backbone of the $175 billion early education market. Brightwheel is the most loved technology brand in early education globally, trusted by thousands of educators and millions of families.
We are a fully remote team with employees across every time zone in the US. Our team is passionate, talented, and customer-focused. Our exceptional investor group includes Addition, Bessemer Venture Partners, Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, GGV Capital, Lowercase Capital, Emerson Collective, and Mark Cuban.
We believe that everyone—from our employees to the students, teachers, and administrators we serve— should be given the opportunity to learn and thrive, whatever their background may be. We celebrate diversity in all forms because it allows our team and the communities we serve to reach their full potential and do their best work.
Who you are
We are seeking a motivated software engineer who has demonstrated technical experience and passion for the positive impact their code can make in people's lives. Brightwheel engineers work closely with product, design, and other business areas to deliver a platform that meets our teachers' & parents' most significant needs.
Every engineer at Brightwheel is afforded a high degree of ownership and autonomy. We are a lean, fast-moving team and value individuals who are curious and collaborative in the face of technical challenges and empathetic and user-driven in how we show up every day.
What you’ll do
- Work alongside product and design to scope and implement new features or product lines.
- Provide input to feature delivery – sharing new ideas, proposals, and constructive feedback to the team.
- Be a steward of code quality. You'll work with other engineers to ensure that we have a solid foundation that serves our customers and enables the team to continue building a great product.
- Grow in & share your knowledge and expertise across the stack, in areas including scalability, security, and performance.
- Support the design and architecture of new software systems as appropriate to support brightwheel’s growth.
Qualifications, Skills, & Abilities:
- 2-5 years of professional experience, preferably in dynamic companies/teams
- Proficiency in both contributing to and designing APIs (ideally using Ruby on Rails)
- Experience writing automated tests (unit/integration/functional)
- Proficiency in using Git (or VC equivalent)
- Experience with modern webapps like React.js
- Experience or eagerness to learn more about microservice or service-oriented architectures
- Experience or eagerness to learn more about Infrastructure as Code (IaC)
- Experience with Stripe or eagerness to learn more about financial technology
Brightwheel is committed to internal pay equity and offers a competitive compensation package, including base salary, equity, and benefits. Our benefits package includes premium medical, dental, and vision benefits, generous paid parental leave, a flexible paid time off policy, a monthly wellness and productivity stipend, and a Learning & Development stipend.
For cash compensation, brightwheel sets standard ranges for all roles based on function, level, and geographic location, benchmarked against similar-stage growth companies.
In alignment with Colorado’s Equal Pay for Equal Work Act, the annual cash compensation for this role in Colorado is targeted at $117,000-$146,000. In alignment with the New York State Senate Bill S9427A and California State Senate Bill No. 1162, the annual cash compensation for this role in California and New York City is targeted at $138,000-$162,000. In alignment with Washington’s Equal Pay and Opportunities Act, the annual cash compensation for this role in Washington is targeted at $117,000-$162,000.
Multiple factors, including geographic location, candidate experience, and expertise, determine final offer amounts. If you are applying from a different location and have questions about the compensation band for your region, please ask your recruiter.
Brightwheel is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment and is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.