Senior Ruby Engineer
Published on August 05, 2023
At Smart, we're a diverse team, made up of people from different backgrounds, experiences and skills. Our goal is to build great products to help people plan for their financial futures. We’re constantly developing new ideas to help people look after their pension schemes, in the UK and abroad. We’ve grown to a team of over 200 talented people, all dedicated to creating the best experience for our customers. If you think you can help, come and work with us.
- Develop new user facing features.
- Engineering a better code base with your team.
- Work within a smaller 8-10 person agile engineering team, part of a wider Engineering organisation
- Work on tickets assigned to you, this includes writing code and specs (tests) and checking that new code passes other test coverage.
- Review Pull Requests from other developers.
- Work in a collaborative, agile team environment
- Be awesome at what you do best, code!
- Occasionally pair with other Engineers - we have pairing machines
- Significant commercial experience with Ruby, working in a Ruby on rails environment (as a guide multiple projects over, with 5+ years of experience)
- Deep understanding of object-orientated programming
- Desire to work with Domain Driven Design
- Love to work using TDD
- Understanding of relational database (MySQL, PostgreSQL)
- Understanding of web design patterns
- Previous experience working in a company scaling up is useful, but not essential
- Most importantly, a desire to learn, grow, working with an amazing team and deliver software
- 25 days’ holiday per year, increasing with length of service.
- £500 annual training budget to spend on your professional development
- Pension via Salary Sacrifice
- Extensive private healthcare, including dental, eyecare and EAP
- Enhanced sick leave (three months’ pay per year)
- Enhanced maternity and paternity (maternity – 6 months fully paid/paternity – 3 weeks fully paid)
- Death in service insurance cover
- Fully-paid five-week sabbatical after five years of employment
- In office wellbeing, such as manicures, massages and barbers. We also serve free lunch, breakfasts and social drinks weekly.
- Smart employees also enjoy a 50% discount on orders from our sister company Arena Flowers, Britain's most ethical florist. They offer unique hand-tied bouquets, luxury flowers, letterbox flowers, plants and gifts to spend on friends and loved ones or even for yourself.