Senior Software Engineer (Ruby)
Published on August 13, 2023
Jackpocket’s mission is to create a more convenient, fun, and responsible way to take part in the lottery. As the first licensed third-party lottery courier app in the U.S., we offer lottery fans a secure way to order official state lottery tickets. By helping today’s players participate in the lottery from the convenience of their smartphone, Jackpocket also helps state lotteries drive incremental revenue to fund essential state programs, such as education, veterans services, natural resources, and more.
Jackpocket is the first mobile lottery app in the U.S. that offers players a secure way to order official state lottery tickets, such as Powerball, Mega Millions, and more, via their smartphones. We're creating a more convenient, fun, and responsible way to play the lottery by modernizing the $300B global lottery market with a mobile platform that everyone, including grandma, can feel good about.
As a key member of Jackpocket’s Backend Engineering Team, you will work collaboratively across Engineering, Product, Operations, and Marketing to architect, build, and enhance consumer applications, APIs, internal administration tools, and more. Jackpocket is an Agile shop utilizing a variety of programming languages across its technology stack.
- Participate in initiatives around new libraries and technologies to improve and scale Jackpocket’s capabilities
- Architect and build out new services using technology best suited for the job
- Work collaboratively to develop and enhance the backend system, including cleaning and refactoring existing code
- Rewrite legacy code and build new services to handle increasing traffic as Jackpocket continues to grow
- Maintain and contribute to existing test suites to ensure that Jackpocket applications are reliable and work as intended
- Utilize advanced Postgresql to meet the high load on the database
- Contribute to compliance related initiatives including but not limited to state regulations and SOC audits
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or equivalent relevant experience
- Experience working with non-trivial Ruby on Rails applications
- 8+ years of software development experience
- Demonstrated success in building out APIs, integrating with third party services, and writing efficient code that can handle applications at scale
- Ability to write clean and efficient SQL
- Experience working in a fast paced Agile environment
- Experience with Google Cloud, microservices, DevOps, CI/CD, Docker, and Kubernetes
- Familiarity with Elixir / Erlang, Python, Node, or similar technologies
- Medical insurance covered up to 100% by Jackpocket
- Dental & vision insurance
- 401(k) matching
- Stock options
- Commuter benefits and Citi Bike membership
- Discounted gym membership
- Catered meals and stocked kitchen
- Flexible working hours
- Autonomy and upward mobility
The base compensation range for this role is $170,000 - $190,000
This is a full-time exempt position and is not eligible for overtime under FLSA requirements. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Jackpocket is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. To request a reasonable accommodation, contact [email protected].