Software Engineer (REMOTE)
Remote - Anywhere
Our Team. We achieve these goals by putting our employees first. As a deeply embedded and highly respected partner in the K–12 education space, IM attracts a diverse group of talented people who work in spirited teams to do extraordinary things. Our team of professionals include distinguished university faculty, respected education bloggers, presidential-award-winning teachers, and experienced business leaders from some of the top organizations in the field. Every member of our team is committed to K–12 mathematics education and passionate about making a difference with high-need students.
Our Culture. Illustrative Mathematics is unique in its ability to bring diverse people together to achieve common goals. Across the organization, IM encourages diversity of ideas, healthy debate and constructive feedback. IM works to find the common ground between mathematics and classroom experts, and to skillfully balance the voice of the customer with the vision of the developer in order to create meaningful, useful, and engaging resources of the highest quality.
Illustrative Mathematics is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates from historically marginalized groups.
Vision for this position: Illustrative Mathematics is looking for a software engineer to join the engineering team and help support the organization’s mission by building and maintaining web applications. IM’s systems focus on authoring, managing, and sharing our curriculum, as well as communicating with IM’s customers. This position helps to ensure that IM’s open curriculum reaches students and teachers across the country. A successful candidate for this position will have experience creating Ruby on Rails applications and a desire to push their skills by developing more complex systems.
IM’s engineering team uses:
- Ruby on Rails for application development
- Rspec and Capybara for testing and specs
- Rubocop for coding standards
- GitHub for version control
- Heroku and AWS for server environments
- Pivotal Tracker for project management support
- Salesforce for customer relationship management
The software engineer will:
- Build and maintain projects in Ruby on Rails
- Deliver well-documented stories that meet internal and external customer needs
- Create well-tested code to ensure software quality
- Effectively collaborate with the rest of IM’s engineering team
- Effectively work with a remote team
- 2-3 years of experience building complex web applications
- At least one year of experience building complex applications using Ruby on Rails
- Experience with git/github
- Track record of writing tests in RSpec
- Experience using a project management tool (IM uses Pivotal Tracker)
- Brings a positive mindset and attitude continuously pushes the organization to accomplish its mission
- Experience working in a remote environment a plus
Reports to: Director of Engineering
How to Apply
In addition to a cover letter and resume, candidates should submit a document that contains the following:
- Sample of code you’ve created for a Ruby on Rails project. This could be a link to a GitHub project, or the code pasted into the document. Please briefly provide context for the sample. Applications without a code sample will not be considered.
- A description of at least one Rails application you’ve worked on, and the role you played in development.