Senior Software Engineer
Published on September 01, 2023
Root is an end-to-end digital insurance platform. That means we provide cloud-native infrastructure, exposed via APIs, that powers all back-end aspects of an insurance operation. We package all the compliance, regulatory and reporting complexities behind easy-to-use APIs that enable our customers to move fast and innovate.If joining a high-performing, incredibly passionate, and curious team sounds like something you’d enjoy, take a look through our current openings. We’re always looking for amazing talent and we’d love to chat.
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our team. In this role, you will be responsible for working collaboratively with your engineering and cross-functional peers to have a powerful impact on our systems and business. This includes analyzing and modifying new and existing software as well as designing, constructing, and testing applications that meet our internal and external customers' needs.
Root is a technology company revolutionizing personal insurance with a pricing model based upon fairness and a modern customer experience. With its technology-forward products, Root is working to fundamentally change an industry for the better.
Root is a "work where it works best" company. Meaning we will support you working in whatever location that works best for you across the US. We will continue to have our headquarters in Columbus and offices in other locations to give more flexibility and more choice about how we live and work.
Salary Range: $117,000 - $144,200
How you will make an impact
Software Engineers at Root are accountable for project delivery and maintenance of their team's systems. This role requires clear communication with peers and stakeholders, technical proficiency across domains, and strong collaborative instincts and skills - all to ensure high-quality and impactful changes are delivered reliably for our business.
Successful engineers in this role work closely with their team. Responsibilities of this role:
- Analyze the needs of the user and of our business.
- Write, test, and deploy code changes that align with our standards of practice.
- Work in detail with data scientists, actuaries, and insurance professionals to understand, implement, and validate changes to the data we use for pricing and underwriting.
- Design durable and extendable solutions using new or existing patterns.
- Identify risks and opportunities for improvements in our codebase and domain.
- Recommend upgrades for existing systems and programs.
- Document designs and projects with clear writing, diagrams, flowcharts, and models that support peers' and non-technical teammates' understanding.
- Communicate risks and progress of projects or features.
- Provide feedback to peers and the team on code quality, system design, and team and department processes.
What you will need to succeed
- 3+ years of experience working in a development role.
- Experience working with Ruby on Rails.
- Basic understanding of client-server architecture and web technologies.
- Exposure working with native iOS and Android.
- Fluent usage of version control tools.
- Experience deploying to AWS.
- Familiarity with Buildkite for continuous integration.
- Basic knowledge of databases and SQL.
- Writes clean, functional, well-tested code.
- Follows existing patterns and aims for consistency with the rest of the code.
- Able to take on small feature work and bug fixes.
- Starts understanding and taking business goals into account when making implementation decisions.
- Provides good feedback on other teammates' work in code reviews.
- Works with the engineering lead and teammates to answer questions about their work.
Don't meet every single requirement?
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At Root, Inc., we are dedicated to building a diverse and inclusive workplace, so if you're excited about this role but your past experience doesn't align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway!
At Root, we judge people based on the merit of their work, not who they are. If you are passionate about what this role entails and solving real problems, we encourage you to apply. We want to learn about you and what you can add to our team.
Who we are
We're harnessing the power of technology to revolutionize insurance. Using machine learning and mobile telematic platforms, we've built one of the most innovative FinTech companies in the world. And we're just getting started.
What draws people to Root
Our success is in large part due to our unwavering standards in hiring. We recognize that our products are only as good as the people building and promoting them. We want individuals who find solutions by going through the cycle of ideation to implementation with curiosity, rigor, and an analytical lens. Ask anyone who works here and you'll hear similar reasons for why they joined:
Autonomy-for assertive self-starters, the opportunities to contribute are limitless.
Impact-by challenging the way it's always been done, we solve problems that have a big impact on our business.
Collaboration-we encourage rich discussion and civil debate at every turn.
People-we are inspired by the collection of crazy-smart people around us.