Senior Software Engineer - Testing
Published on September 05, 2023
Who we are
DebtBook is an industry-leading fintech software platform that revolutionizes the way local governments, higher education, healthcare organizations and their finance teams work. Our powerful, cloud-based software helps these organizations manage all aspects of their debt, leases, and subscriptions, streamline financial reporting, and share information simply with others.
About this Role
We think writing great tests and quality is the job of every engineer, but we want to ensure some engineers have extra time and space to focus on testing and be testing leaders on the team. We are looking for a Software Engineer who will focus on helping us increase our test coverage, test out and set up new testing frameworks, and train the entire team on ways to improve our testing. We are looking for someone who can help us add more meaningful test coverage to important areas of our app, and refactor existing services to be more testable.
This engineer will be focused on testing, but may also spend some time working on user facing features. This role will not be part of the QA team, and will not be responsible for manual QA of tickets. This role is part of our engineering team.
- Help determine which areas of the app are having the highest number of regressions or issues.
- Add tests to important areas, refactoring the underlying code where neccessary.
- Test out and implement new libraries and frameworks to improve our testing capabilities.
- Training engineers on ways to improve testing and write code that is easier to test.
- Help interview, onboard, and mentor engineers. We take a hands-on approach to onboarding and mentoring and jump into pair programming to help unblock our teammates.
Qualifications and Experience
- 4+ years professional Software Engineering experience
- Professional experience with Ruby on Rails, React, and SQL
- Professional experience writing tests in Rspec or Minitest
Technologies We Use
- We have a majestic monolith built with Ruby on Rails, PostgreSQL, and React
- Our app is hosted in AWS and we have CI/CD pipelines and deployments in GitLab
- 30 min - Introduction Call
- 60 min - Management Interview with an Engineering Manager
- 90 min - Technical Interview
- Pair with an engineer for code review, pair programming, and schema design
- 2 hr - Vitrual Onsite
- 45 min - Engineering interview with two engineers from the team
- 30 min - Interview with the team Product Manager
- 45 min - Interview with the team Engineering Manager
At DebtBook, we dream big, move fast, make an impact, and bring joy to everything we do. Our core values drive our success as an organization, and we are looking for talented teammates who share our passion for challenging the status quo, innovating in all we do, and wanting to make a difference. We are growing fast, but our people aren’t just a number -- everybody has the opportunity to shape our culture and the future of the company.
Benefits & Perks
Proud to be named one of the “Best Places to Work” by Charlotte’s Business Journal, DebtBook is a fast-growing company where we dream big, move fast, make an impact, and bring joy to everything we do. Our core values drive our success as an organization, and we are looking for talented teammates who share our passion for challenging the status quo, innovating in all we do, and wanting to make a difference.
When it comes to benefits and perks, we are committed to supporting our employees’ well-being to make their lives better, both in and out of the office. We offer:
- Competitive salaries plus equity (stock options) for all employees
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision insurance, 401(k) with 4% employer match
- Flexible work schedules and generous leave policies (including unlimited PTO)
- Professional development opportunities and tuition reimbursement
- Family and wellness perks
- Stipends for remote workers to set up their ideal work space
- Annual salary range is: $125,000-$155,000 based on experience
- This role is eligible for an up to 10% annual bonus
DebtBook is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value diversity and prohibit discrimination and unlawful harassment in the workplace. All applicants will receive consideration for employment based upon their qualifications without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ethnicity, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, marital status, genetic information, political affiliation, National Guard or veteran status, disability, or any other protected status under federal, state, or local law. We welcome and encourage applicants with disabilities to contact our team for assistance during the application and hiring process. We are committed to expanding accessibility and making reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable law.