Principal Engineer (Rails) - Remote
Published on September 16, 2023
PayNearMe is the industry’s only platform that facilitates cash, debit, credit and ACH payments. With its great mobile experience, PayNearMe’s technology provides a simple way for businesses to collect payments through an intuitive, consistent experience for their customers. PayNearMe is the technology company that’s changing how payments are made. We are a diverse and collaborative company that loves to delight its customers (merchants, consumers, etc.) with simple, useful and practical product/service offerings. We’re headquartered in Silicon Valley with our employees distributed all across the US. Help us reimagine payments!
PayNearMe is the industry’s only platform that facilitates cash, debit, credit and ACH payments. With its great mobile experience, PayNearMe’s technology provides a simple way for businesses to collect payments through an intuitive, consistent experience for their customers. PayNearMe is the technology company that’s changing how payments are made.
We are a diverse and collaborative company that loves to delight its customers (merchants, consumers, etc.) with simple, useful and practical product/service offerings. We’re headquartered in Silicon Valley with our employees distributed all across the US. Help us reimagine payments!
We’re in growth mode and looking to add a dynamic Principal Engineer to our PayNearMe team. This position will report to the Engineering Manager.
As a Principal Engineer on the Numbers team, you will be the vanguard of a cross-functional team engaged in the whole process of developing new features, from collaborating with stakeholders to hone requirements all the way through partnering with QA to ensure your implementation is production-ready. You’ll be instrumental in shaping the future of our platform, writing resilient, scalable software that will support our growth for many years to come.
What you’ll own and be responsible for:
- Large/complex projects and initiatives
- Developing a deep understanding of the team’s domain and the context in which we operate
- Thoroughly investigating areas of uncertainty to scope work and identify risks
- Outlining possible implementation options to meet business needs and describing the tradeoffs between them to both technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Writing project plans detailing technical design, risks, dependencies, and milestones
- Breaking large, complex projects into discrete pieces to be distributed amongst the team for development
- Proactively adjusting implementation plans to ensure core project goals are achieved within operational constraints and communicating those changes to stakeholders
- Engaging cross-functionally to manage dependencies for the projects you own
- Investing in the growth of your teammates and engineers across the organization through mentorship and training
- Producing well-tested code that considers security, performance, and resilience
- Strong command of Ruby and Rails (with an understanding of the boundaries between them): minimally, 5-8 years of experience
- Commitment to identifying and solving the right problem
- Ability to communicate clearly to a variety of stakeholders, tailoring terminology and level of detail appropriately based on the audience
- Ability to make practical decisions with good judgment when faced with design constraints
- Ability to effectively collaborate in a fully remote environment
- Respect and support for team members of all levels and backgrounds, with openness to both teaching and learning
- Payments, financial applications, or any industry subject to significant government regulation and auditing requirements where precision and correctness are of paramount importance
- Golang, Containers, Kubernetes, AWS infrastructure, DataDog, Gitlab CI
- Modularizing monolithic applications - Design patterns that support long-term sustainability
- Solving complex performance problems, especially in ActiveRecord
- Growing an API while maintaining compatibility for existing integrations
Travel: Twice a year to headquarters
- Great compensation package plus extensive benefits
- Remote working opportunity
- Fast-paced and professional work culture
- Company-paid health insurance including medical, dental, and vision
- Company-sponsored life and disability insurance
- Stock options package
- Stimulating start-up culture committed to diversity and inclusion
- Flexible time off
- Paid parental bonding leave
- Team outings and events when permitted
Salary Range: $185,000 - $200,000
PayNearMe strives to create a workplace where all employees thrive. Our core values represent who we are today and we take pride in the way we work with each other as well as with our stakeholders.
We’re in this together to do the right thing. We deliver real results we are proud of while remaining respectful, transparent, and flexible.
PayNearMe is an equal opportunity employer. We are diligently and thoughtfully working towards cultivating a diverse workforce which in turn, enhances our products and services for the communities we serve. Applicants who represent all backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
CALIFORNIA CONSUMER PRIVACY ACT: APPLICANT NOTICE
Effective Date: January 1, 2020
Last Reviewed on: December 23, 2019
PayNearMe, Inc. (the “Company”) is providing you with this Notice (“Notice”) to inform you about:
- the categories of Personal Information that the Company collects and maintains about applicants; and
- the purposes for which the Company uses that Personal Information.
For purposes of this Notice, “Personal Information” means information that identifies, relates to, describes, is capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly with, a natural person that the Company may collect in connection with screening applicants for job openings at the Company.
- Identifiers and Professional or Employment-Related Information. The Company collects identifiers and professional or employment-related information, which may include some or all the following: real name, nickname or alias, postal address, telephone number, e-mail address, membership in professional organizations, professional certifications, language skills, and current and past employment history. The Company collects this Personal Information to evaluate previous job performance and consider applicants for positions, to develop a talent pool and plan for succession, to conduct applicant surveys, to maintain an internal applicant directory and for purposes of identification, to promote the Company as a place to work, and for workforce reporting and data analytics/trend analysis.
- Personal Information Categories from Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.80(e). The Company may collect categories of Personal Information listed in Cal. Civ. Code §1798.80(e), other than those already listed above, (a) to the extent necessary to comply with the Company’s legal obligations, such as to accommodate disabilities; (b) to conduct a direct threat analysis in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and state law; (c) for occupational health and safety compliance and record-keeping; and (d) to respond to an applicant’s medical emergency.
- Characteristics of Protected Classifications Under California or Federal Law. The Company may collect information about race, age, national origin, disability, sex, and veteran status as necessary to comply with legal obligations, including the reporting requirements of the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Act, the federal Office of Contracting Compliance Programs (applicable to government contractors), and California’s Fair Employment and Housing Act. The Company collects this Personal Information for purposes including: to comply with Federal and California law related to accommodation. The Company also collects this category of Personal Information on a purely voluntary basis, except where required by law, and uses the information only in compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Education Information. The Company collects education information such as resumes and graduation records. The Company collects this Personal Information to determine suitability for roles, to determine eligibility for training courses, and to assist with professional licensing.
- Profile Data. The Company may collect profile data, including the following: psychological assessments, behavior analyses, or other profiling of its applicants. The Company collects this Personal Information to determine aptitude for certain positions and job assignments as well.
- Background Screening Information. In the event that an applicant is given a formal job offer, the Company collects background screening information prior to hiring, including results of the following types of background screening: criminal history; sex offender registration; motor vehicle records; credit history; employment history; drug testing; and educational history. The Company collects this Personal Information to screen for risks to the Company and its clients, and continued suitability for their jobs and to evaluate applicants for promotions.
Assistance for Disabled Applicants
Alternative formats of this Notice are available to individuals with a disability. Please let us know if you need assistance.