Sr. Software Engineer I - Creator Activation
Published on September 18, 2023
Studio apartment beginnings Late one night in 2013, our founder Ankur Nagpal, put the finishing touches to what would become the predecessor of Teachable. A recent graduate of UC Berkeley and the newest resident of New York, Ankur had been instructing a course in marketing created through another course platform, when he decided that he could build something better. Something with more customization tools and a more profitable payment system. It was called Fedora. And as soon as its homepage was open for business, we started to welcome scores of experts in feng shui, handpanning, email marketing, coding, and sourdough baking, ready to craft their knowledge into beautiful courses. The art of building a business Just two years later, our team of one in a studio apartment in Williamsburg had grown to a team of 15 coders, marketers, and finance experts in an office in Manhattan. Valued at 8 million dollars, and growing each day in sign-ups and knowledge, it was time for a new name. And Teachable, became Teachable.
Teachable is a no-code platform for creators who want to build a more impactful business through courses, coaching, downloadable content, and community. With Teachable, creators can engage their online audiences and get paid-on their own terms. Today, tens of thousands of creators use Teachable to share their knowledge and, to date, have reached more than 46 million students around the world.
Are you ready to join a dynamic, cross-cultural team at an exciting turning point in our company's journey? Now part of the global Hotmart Company portfolio, Teachable continues to take the creator economy by storm as a true industry leader. Together, Teachable and Hotmart are delivering market-leading products that prioritize creator control and flexibility, alongside meaningful partnership and support from our team. If you have big ideas, relish the chance to challenge convention, and deeply believe in the power of creators to shape the future, we want you on our team!
What is the role?
We're looking to bring on a Sr. Software Engineer to join our Creator Activation pod, whose goal is to support a new creator's experience on Teachable through a personalized onboarding experience. We want our creators to find early success on our platform by enabling them to start building high-quality products with ease. Teachable's product team is leveraging generative AI to build tools that reduce friction in course creation and more.
In this role, you'll be able to have a direct impact in leading projects in an area that is customer-focused using creativity to navigate through ambiguity. You will partner with a product engineering team of engineers, Product Designer and Product Manager.
You will report to the Engineering Manager.
What You'll Do:
- Write secure, efficient, and high-quality code that adheres to best practices, such as encryption of sensitive data and input validation.
- Develop scalable and reusable code that promotes efficient development, such as creating reusable libraries and components.
- Identify areas for improvement in the codebase and take ownership of small-to-medium-sized systems, such as fixing bugs and optimizing performance.
- Quickly understand documentation and utilize testing techniques, such as unit testing, integration testing, and stress testing, to ensure high-quality code.
- Communicate effectively with team members and stakeholders, such as providing regular status updates and actively seeking feedback.
- Adapt to roadblocks and proactively resolve issues, such as debugging and troubleshooting.
- Align work with customer value by using feedback to prioritize features.
- Balance priorities and seek guidance when needed to make informed decisions.
- 4+ years of hands-on experience building production web applications in an agile, startup environment.
- Proficiency in Ruby on Rails, Go, or any backend languages
- Familiarity or willingness to work in a full stack capacity.
- An appreciation for iteration, performance measurement, and optimization.
- A passion for solving complex technical problems in both new and legacy codebases.
- A mindset of leaving the codebase better than how you found it.
- Experience collaborating with multiple team members with varying experience levels to design and implement technical projects.
- Ability to work and problem-solve independently.
- A humble, collaborative, customer-focused, and highly curious approach to problem-solving.
- Who upholds Teachable Product Engineering values, including working as part of a diverse team:
- Team oriented
- Bias for action
- Continuous improvement
- Quick iteration
- Solve customer problems
- Outcome oriented
At Teachable, we are committed to providing fair and competitive pay (using market data to inform our pay bands), rewarding high performance, and ensuring all employees have the opportunity and ability to impact Teachable's overall company value. Base salaries will be reviewed at regular intervals throughout the year, typically following performance review cycles currently conducted bi-annually or in conjunction with a promotion.
- This role is open to remote candidates in the U.S.
- Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.
- For this role, the base salary range is $140,000 to 170,000. Total compensation also includes a competitive benefits package and Restricted Stock Units (RSUs). A salary offer will be determined by a number of factors including experience, skill level, education, internal pay equity, and other relevant business considerations. We review all teammate pay and compensation programs regularly to ensure competitive and fair pay.
While Teachable maintains our NY office for local employees to use, we operate as a remote-first culture in order to give our employees added flexibility. In order to maintain connection and create a community beyond the screen, Teachable holds in-person events throughout the year, where employees and teams can come together for bonding, strategic alignment, goal-setting, and celebrations!
Teachable encourages individuals from a broad diversity of backgrounds to apply for positions. We are an equal opportunity employer, meaning we're committed to a fair and consistent interview process. Please tell us in your application if you require an accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job.