Senior Software Engineer, Search and Discovery
Published on October 01, 2023
Each day brings more chores and less time to accomplish them. Whether someone needs a handyman, house cleaner, moving help, or delivery person, TaskRabbit delights clients by matching the right skilled person in minutes. With our support, our clients can accomplish it all, not only today, but also on-demand to be their most productive self. On the other side of the marketplace we help our Taskers earn a living by setting their own prices, defining their working hours, and giving them control to help people, when and how they want in the most supportive marketplace. We’re a mission-driven company. Our culture is collaborative, pragmatic, and fast-paced. We’re looking for talented, entrepreneurially minded and data-driven people who also have a passion for helping people do what they love - and have a ton of fun while they’re at it. With the backing of IKEA, we are growing our entire marketplace, including furniture assembly, globally and entering additional markets as we scale. It’s an exciting time at TaskRabbit!
- Taskrabbit is a remote-first company with employees distributed across the US and EU
- 5-time Best Places to Work in 2022 by BuiltIn. Including Best Companies in SF, Best Mid-Sized Companies, and Best Benefits
- DataBird journal’s “Best Places” Best Companies for Diversity, #1 2019 and 2020
- DataBird journal’s “Best Places” Best Companies for Women, #4 2019 and #1 2020
About the Role:
- Designing, building, and maintaining marketplace product solutions
- Optimizing the results of Search to provide best in class search experience for Taskrabbit clients
- Improving search latency and relevancy using large scale data systems
- Taking part in the modernization of our codebase
- Implementing semantic search and other advanced search capabilities
- Integrating AI & Machine Learning capabilities
- Analyzing product or system gaps & issues to debug, resolve and suggest long term solutions
- Contributing to the growth and success of team members through code review, clear documentation, and mentorship
- Collaborating with engineering, data, design, and product management to conceptualize new features and improvements for our client-facing applications
- Contribute to our technical roadmap of ongoing improvements, enhancements and updates
- Experience designing and developing search solutions
- 5-10 years of software development experience, comfortable working independently
- 2+ years professional experience developing with Ruby on Rails or similar
- Experience with search and data storage technologies (ElasticSearch, OpenSearch, MongoDB, PostGresSQL or other)
- Experience building API-driven applications or endpoints
- A working knowledge of advanced technologies related to Search & Machine Learning
- Experience integrating third party tools into existing systems
- Familiarity with automated testing, JS build and packaging systems
- Understanding how to organize code across the stack
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, especially for asynchronous collaboration
- Built a search solution from scratch (ex: early stage company or re-platforming, new feature build)
- Worked with ElasticSearch before
- Integrated Machine Learning APIs
- A working understanding of AWS or cloud
- Experience with a/b testing frameworks such as Optimizely
- Integrated data sources into a search platform
- A deep understanding of indexing
- Collaborated in a remote-first environment to build product
You’ll love working here because:
- Taskrabbit is a Remote-First Company. We value flexibility and choice but also stay committed to regular in-person connection.
- The People. You will be surrounded by some of the most talented, supportive, smart, and kind leaders and teams -- people you can be proud to work with!
- Care Deeply. We take time to be present and partner with our team and communities.
- Level Up. We navigate through ambiguity and go the extra mile.
- Be A Better Neighbor. We build a diverse and sustainable community and encourage all voices.
- Lead The Future Together. We value entrepreneurship and are inspired by action.
- The Diverse Culture. We believe that we make better decisions when our workforce reflects the diversity of the communities in which we operate. Women make up half of our leadership team and our diversity representation is above that of the tech industry average.
- The Perks. Taskrabbit offers employer-paid health insurance, 401k match with immediate vesting, generous and flexible time off with 2 company-wide closure weeks, Taskrabbit product stipends, wellness + productivity + education stipends, IKEA discounts, reproductive health support, and more.