Senior Ruby Engineer
Published on October 05, 2023
CodePath is a national non-profit that is reprogramming higher education to create the most diverse generation of software engineers, CTOs, and founders. We deliver industry-vetted courses and career support centered on the needs of Black, Latino/a, Indigenous, and low-income students. Our students train with senior engineers, intern at top companies, and rise together to become the tech leaders of tomorrow.
Founded in 2017, CodePath has taught over 20,000 students and delivered courses across over 85 universities. We are supported by some of the largest and most well-respected organizations, including Andreessen Horowitz, Blue Meridian Partners, Cognizant Foundation, Comcast, Google, Meta, Salesforce, Walmart, and Workday, among others.
We are currently targeted to serve 10,000+ students a year nationwide as of 2023, and are planning to scale up to ~100,000 students a year by 2030.
About the Role
Location: Remote, United States
Reports To: Director of Product Engineering
Compensation: $150,000 to $175,000 per year
CodePath’s national programs are powered by a custom platform software suite that includes 6-10 different tools ranging from the multi-step admissions/application process to a custom learning management system, and all the way to our custom gradebook, reporting, and student support systems. To see what we have built, click here.
CodePath is seeking a Senior Ruby Engineer who will design, develop, and maintain web-based applications that are the centerpiece of our mission to enhance and revolutionize the educational experience for emerging engineers.
The ideal candidate should thrive in ambiguity, relish autonomy, and be excited about leveraging and building the technology that is at the center of CodePath's ambitious vision to transform college computer science education, empower the tech leaders of tomorrow and generate over $1.5T in wealth for low-income communities within the next 20 years.
As a Senior Ruby Engineer, you will join a small team of engineers who collaborate directly with stakeholders to comprehend the needs of our students and staff, actively participate in the decision-making process about which features and functionalities to tackle and then independently execute.
The ideal candidate for this role is a Web Engineer inspired by potential projects like these:
- Major data/tracking/analytics overhaul that would enhance both within the platform (health vitals dashboards, reporting features) and make data securely available to third-party reporting and analytics platforms to accelerate our fundraising and partnership efforts.
- Major augmentation to our platform that will specifically target the five biggest efficiency bottlenecks as it relates to reducing cost per student and enabling us to concurrently reach a greater number of students than we ever have before.
- We partner closely with AI leaders and specialists at large organizations on the cutting edge of generative AI R&D. You’ll be working hands-on with the most advanced AI systems in the world.
- Design, develop, and maintain web-based applications using Ruby on Rails and Sinatra/Padrino
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams including product managers, designers, and other developers to define requirements, implement new features, and fix bugs
- Write clean, efficient, and maintainable code
- Participate in code reviews and maintain code quality standards
- Write automated tests and ensure that applications are tested thoroughly before deployment
- Keep up-to-date with the latest technologies, frameworks, and best practices in software development
- Identify and address performance bottlenecks and other technical issues
- Debug and troubleshoot issues as they arise
- Provide technical guidance and support to other members of the team
- Passion for great web products
- Strong experience with Ruby on Rails
- Bootstrap or similar CSS/JS framework for simple lightweight design
- Bootstrap Grid and Responsive Layout System for responsive design
- Experience with PostgreSQL and database design
- Strong communication skills and ability to work in a team environment
- Passion for education and desire to make a positive impact in the world
Nice to haves:
- Experience using Slim or HAML for clean view templating
- Sinatra and Padrino Experience
- Experience working with LLMs and Generative AI
We are committed to professional growth and fulfillment at work. Benefits include:
- Medical insurance with dental and vision.
- Generous time off with a flexible workplace and work schedule.
- A commitment to developing leaders from within the organization.
- Frequent opportunities to connect with students, universities, and communities we serve.
- Opportunities to engage, collaborate and partner with top technology companies, venture capitalists, and engineering leaders
About the Current Team
We are individuals from a multitude of backgrounds, experiences, and unlikely stories, all connected by a single dream: a world in which regardless of background, socioeconomic status, gender, or race all people have pathways to reach their full potential.
With a staff and board that cares deeply about diversity and equity, we believe that diverse perspectives and backgrounds create a richer work environment and enhance our ability to pursue our mission.
Note: Research suggests that women and BIPOC individuals may self-select out of opportunities if they don’t meet 100% of the job requirements. We encourage individuals who believe they have the skills necessary to thrive at CodePath to apply for this role.