Intermediate Software Engineer, Customer Ops
Published on October 22, 2023
As Jobber CEO Sam remembers it, “When I met Graham he was struggling with invoicing, scheduling, and keeping track of really important info. He was drowning in paperwork and was getting bogged down with the details that come with running a business. It was the exact situation that many of our customers are in when they come to Jobber. They start a business and take a leap of faith and just do it. That’s a really brave thing to do, and I can tell you from experience how scary it is to be an entrepreneur. Whether it’s software you’re building, or a successful painting company, this is really hard work.” In 2011, Graham, owner of Painters Enterprise, had 3 employees and worked out of 1 city. He loved running his own painting business but was struggling to keep up with the paperwork, administrative tasks, and data entry that came with running a service business. As Forrest recalls, “We started with a very basic setup that minimized his paperwork problem; getting his invoicing, client records, and team schedules into an online framework that we quickly realized multiple businesses could benefit from. We knew that a lot of the headaches business owners were feeling were shared between industries (scheduling the unexpected, reacting to problems quickly, drowning in paperwork, inability to grow their business, customer expectations, etc). We discovered that fixing a single process problem for one industry consequently fixed the same problem in 100 other industries. That was our aha moment. It wasn’t just about fixing the problems that one business experienced it was about fixing the entire system in which home service businesses operated in.” We’ve come a long way from our first customer in 2011. Today, we help over 200,000 people like Graham run successful home service businesses. What happened to Graham and Painters Enterprise? Today, Graham has 4 locations in 3 cities and a team of 16. He still uses Jobber today.
- Understand how and why our customers work the way they do, so you can triage and resolve bugs and improve features in Jobber’s online and mobile apps.
- Support the Customer Success team in their day-to-day dealings with customers.
- Break down and explain complex technical issues to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Advise on, estimate, and deliver development projects for the Customer Success team.
- Mentor and coach the Customer Ops Representatives on technical troubleshooting and bug reproduction.
- Close gaps between the Customer Success and Product Development organizations by advocating on behalf of Customer Support Reps and our customers.
- Assist the Customer Support team with front-line support in case of reduced capacity, incidents resulting in a large increase in support volume, etc.
- Work on internal projects involving internal automation (Slack, PagerDuty, StatusPage, Zapier, Zendesk, Jira, etc.).
- Ensure ongoing communication between product and customer-facing teams in the event of an outage or significant issue.
- Help define and maintain processes that overlap with multiple teams (Product, Engineering, Customer Ops, Customer Success, etc.).
- Brings enthusiasm for delighting internal and external customers. You’ll be working in the full stack to accomplish this (both the frontend and backend).
- Is proficient in writing code in a few different languages.
- Has an inquisitive mindset and the ability to ask a lot of questions. You seek out new information and remain open to new ideas and perspectives.
- Is a proactive communicator and collaborator (working with stakeholders company-wide is important for this role!).
- Experience using Ruby on Rails in a production environment.
- Experience using TypeScript and React in a production environment.
- Experience supporting financial API integrations (ie. Stripe, QuickBooks, PayPal, Square, etc.).
- A total compensation package that includes an extended health benefits package with fully paid premiums for both body and mind, RRSP matching, and stock options.
- A dedicated Coaching and Development function, including Development Coaches, to help build the career you want and hit the goals you set, while ensuring you’re reaching your fullest potential.
- Support for all your breaks: from vacation to rest and recharge, your birthday off to celebrate, health days to support your physical and mental health, and parental leave top-ups to support your growing family.
- A unique opportunity to build, grow, and leave your impact on a $400-billion industry that has no dominant player...yet.
- To work with a group of people who are humble, supportive, and give a sh*t about our customers.