Manager, Software Engineering
Published on October 30, 2023
As Jobber CEO Sam remembers it, “When I met Graham he was struggling with invoicing, scheduling, and keeping track of really important info. He was drowning in paperwork and was getting bogged down with the details that come with running a business. It was the exact situation that many of our customers are in when they come to Jobber. They start a business and take a leap of faith and just do it. That’s a really brave thing to do, and I can tell you from experience how scary it is to be an entrepreneur. Whether it’s software you’re building, or a successful painting company, this is really hard work.” In 2011, Graham, owner of Painters Enterprise, had 3 employees and worked out of 1 city. He loved running his own painting business but was struggling to keep up with the paperwork, administrative tasks, and data entry that came with running a service business. As Forrest recalls, “We started with a very basic setup that minimized his paperwork problem; getting his invoicing, client records, and team schedules into an online framework that we quickly realized multiple businesses could benefit from. We knew that a lot of the headaches business owners were feeling were shared between industries (scheduling the unexpected, reacting to problems quickly, drowning in paperwork, inability to grow their business, customer expectations, etc). We discovered that fixing a single process problem for one industry consequently fixed the same problem in 100 other industries. That was our aha moment. It wasn’t just about fixing the problems that one business experienced it was about fixing the entire system in which home service businesses operated in.” We’ve come a long way from our first customer in 2011. Today, we help over 200,000 people like Graham run successful home service businesses. What happened to Graham and Painters Enterprise? Today, Graham has 4 locations in 3 cities and a team of 16. He still uses Jobber today.
- Live and breathe performance facilitation. You want to work with your team(s) to help them master their individual crafts, while also collaborating to build extraordinary experiences and systems.
- Be committed to the success of your people. You will help them set goals, have regular 1-on-1s, and provide constructive feedback and coaching to ensure your team's success. You’ll work to understand employees’ career direction and work to empower their journey by acting as a mentor and coach.
- Develop a world-class team alongside a world-class growth organization. You’ll participate in recruiting events and the hiring process while also working to level up your internal team while implementing new processes, all to develop a world-class Growth department.
- Remove roadblocks and build guardrails. You’ll work with the other leaders to create and maintain an environment where people can rapidly produce top-quality work that ultimately helps our customers be successful.
- Collaborate with other stakeholders across the business. Whether it’s with other leaders and teams in our engineering departments, or with our business and revenue focused teams, you’re working closely with other Jobberinos to find the best solutions so that Jobber can move forward helping people in small businesses be successful.
- A track record of success in being an established software engineer, as well as time spent in a leadership position, guiding a team in the delivery of quality software.
- Previous experience leading change, and delivering on company vision.
- The ability to be agile in an agile environment. You’ll need to be able to lead and teach your team to adapt to change, while also thinking critically and creatively to find answers to problems.
- Effective communication. Being transparent with your team and establishing an open dialogue will be a key to success in supporting your coaching conversations and discussions.
- Collaboration down to an art. You’ll work with your direct reports or other teams to understand what they want to accomplish and develop a plan to achieve it.
- To be a leader and mentor. You’ll bring your shared experience into conversations to influence and provide constructive feedback to direct reports throughout the journey to ensure goals are being met and exceeded
- A total compensation package that includes an extended health benefits package with fully paid premiums for both body and mind, RRSP matching, and stock options.
- A dedicated Coaching and Development function, including Development Coaches, to help build the career you want and hit the goals you set, while ensuring you’re reaching your fullest potential.
- Support for all your breaks: from vacation to rest and recharge, your birthday off to celebrate, health days to support your physical and mental health, and parental leave top-ups to support your growing family.
- A unique opportunity to build, grow, and leave your impact on a $400-billion industry that has no dominant player...yet.
- To work with a group of people who are humble, supportive, and give a sh*t about our customers.