Principal Software Engineer, Platform Experience
Published on October 25, 2023
As Jobber CEO Sam remembers it, “When I met Graham he was struggling with invoicing, scheduling, and keeping track of really important info. He was drowning in paperwork and was getting bogged down with the details that come with running a business. It was the exact situation that many of our customers are in when they come to Jobber. They start a business and take a leap of faith and just do it. That’s a really brave thing to do, and I can tell you from experience how scary it is to be an entrepreneur. Whether it’s software you’re building, or a successful painting company, this is really hard work.” In 2011, Graham, owner of Painters Enterprise, had 3 employees and worked out of 1 city. He loved running his own painting business but was struggling to keep up with the paperwork, administrative tasks, and data entry that came with running a service business. As Forrest recalls, “We started with a very basic setup that minimized his paperwork problem; getting his invoicing, client records, and team schedules into an online framework that we quickly realized multiple businesses could benefit from. We knew that a lot of the headaches business owners were feeling were shared between industries (scheduling the unexpected, reacting to problems quickly, drowning in paperwork, inability to grow their business, customer expectations, etc). We discovered that fixing a single process problem for one industry consequently fixed the same problem in 100 other industries. That was our aha moment. It wasn’t just about fixing the problems that one business experienced it was about fixing the entire system in which home service businesses operated in.” We’ve come a long way from our first customer in 2011. Today, we help over 200,000 people like Graham run successful home service businesses. What happened to Graham and Painters Enterprise? Today, Graham has 4 locations in 3 cities and a team of 16. He still uses Jobber today.
Jobber exists to help people in small businesses be successful. We work with small home service businesses, like your local plumbers, electricians, painters, and landscapers, to transform the way service is delivered through technology. With Jobber they can quote, schedule, invoice, and collect payments from their customers, while providing an easy and professional customer experience. Running a small business today isn’t like it used to be—the way we consume and deliver service is changing rapidly, technology is evolving, and customers expect more. That’s why we put the power and flexibility in their hands to run their businesses how, where, and when they want!
Our culture of transparency, inclusivity, collaboration, and innovation has been recognized by Great Place to Work, Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures, and more. Jobber has also been named on the Globe and Mail’s Canada’s Top Growing Companies list, and Deloitte Canada’s Technology Fast 50™, Enterprise Fast 15, and Technology Fast 500™ lists. With an Executive team that has over thirty years of industry experience of leading the way, we’ve come a long way from our first customer in 2011—but we’ve just scratched the surface of what we want to accomplish for our customers.
On the Platform team, leading two talented scrum teams, you will impact Jobber’s customers by building an ecosystem of partner apps, to bolster Jobber’s product experience and capabilities, as well as building our public-facing developer platform. Importantly, you will play a key role in mentoring engineers, collaborating with product & design team members, developing technical vision & roadmaps and helping build scalable solutions.
In the role of Principal Software Engineer, you will report directly to the Director of Software Engineering. Your primary responsibility will be collaborating with our engineering team to develop a cutting-edge product designed to empower our customers and small businesses for success in their ventures. We seek an individual who is prepared to tackle the challenges faced by millions of entrepreneurs, leveraging their expertise to propose solutions that will positively impact the entire engineering organization and, by extension, Jobber as a whole. Demonstrating exemplary leadership, influencing decision-making, adeptly managing conflicts, and championing engineering best practices are all essential qualities for this role.
As a Principal Software Engineer you will ensure the engineering organization delivers work accurately and with high quality (and as efficiently as possible given the other constraints). This usually will look like mentoring and lending a coding hand where needed. Principal Engineers are also expected to have a voice in long-term strategy and to constantly be looking for ways to accelerate the teams through tools, processes and whatever else presents itself. Finally, Principal Engineers collaborate with the development managers to help all developers grow.
The Principal Software Engineer will:
- Understand how and why our customers work the way they do, so you can participate in the complete lifecycle of features in Jobber's online and mobile apps.
- Deliver high-quality and well-structured code and mentor teammates to do the same
- Actively engage with stakeholders to determine the best solution to our customer's problems
- Be ready and willing to jump in where needed at any time to facilitate teams achieving their goals
- Identify, advocate for, and lead cross-functional initiatives
- Breakdown and explain complex technical issues to both technical and non-technical audiences
To be successful, you should have:
- A rich, well-rounded software engineering background with a proven track record of developing impactful customer-facing software products in senior technical leadership roles.
- Full-stack proficiency with a focus on API development. If you’ve worked on a public API product, even better. Importantly, we look for candidates who are passionate and eager to work across all layers of the stack. Openness is key!
- Our stack is Ruby on Rails, GraphQL, React, React Native, and TypeScript on AWS. If you have experience with most of these technologies, that’s great. Our primary focus for this role is the applied GraphQL experience, preferably designing APIs for public consumption.
- Demonstrated ability to take ownership of complex problems and leading engineering efforts across multiple teams to build scalable solutions with long-term objectives and customer delight in mind.
- Impeccable communication and the ability to drive ideas across the finish line by collaborating with team members and cross-functional partners.
- Experience ideating, designing & architecting, developing and shipping large-scale applications.
- Natural enthusiasm for delivering value early and often to customers, and a knack for experimentation and leveraging data to make decisions.
What you can expect from Jobber:
Having been named as a Top 10 Great Place to Work in Canada, we walk the talk. Here are just some of the great things you can expect from us:
- A total compensation package that includes an extended health benefits package with fully paid premiums for both body and mind, RRSP matching, and stock options.
- A dedicated Coaching and Development function, including Development Coaches, to help build the career you want and hit the goals you set, while ensuring you’re reaching your fullest potential.
- Support for all your breaks: from vacation to rest and recharge, your birthday off to celebrate, health days to support your physical and mental health, and parental leave top-ups to support your growing family.
- A unique opportunity to build, grow, and leave your impact on a $400-billion industry that has no dominant player...yet.
- To work with a group of people who are humble, supportive, and give a sh*t about our customers.
We believe that diverse teams perform better and that fostering an inclusive work environment is a key part of growing a successful team. We welcome people of diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to working with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.
A bit more about us:
Job by job, we’re transforming the way service is delivered. Your lawn care provider, home cleaning service, plumber or painter could use Jobber to better connect with their customers, save time in the office, invoice faster, and get paid! We’re bringing tens of thousands of people together with technology to deliver billions of dollars a year in services to happy customers. Jobber exists to help make these small businesses successful, and when they’re successful we all win!