Manager of Engineering, Ruby on Rails SME
Published on November 07, 2023
This is a fully remote position.
Work on things that matter
Ad Hoc is a digital services company that helps the government better serve people through modern technology and product development practices. Some examples of the services we support include Healthcare.gov and VA.gov, both of which are used by millions of people. We help implement modern technologies that government agencies are increasingly interested in, bringing in best practices as we do: among other things, this includes API design, implementation, and governance; platform infrastructure for developers; responsive, accessible websites; and mobile applications.
What matters most
Ad Hoc operates according to our commitment to inclusivity, acceptance, accountability, and humility. We aren’t heroes. We believe in missions larger than our individual selves and leave our egos at the door, learn from our mistakes, and iterate in order to better serve the people in our country. We prioritize building teams that represent the diversity of the people our government serves. We love the challenge of government-size projects. We want to bring skills to federal agencies, help them better meet the needs of their users, and close the gap between consumer expectations and government.
Built for a remote life
Ad Hoc is remote-first and remote-always. We’ve designed our culture, communications, and tools to support a nationwide distributed team since the beginning. Being remote by design allows Ad Hoc to be thoughtful and intentional about creating diverse teams and supporting them with a work environment that fits their lives. With a generous PTO policy and Slack channels for every interest (from bird watching to space nerds to parenting) our culture embraces the things happening in your life. Maybe you need to adjust your schedule to care for your family or take a bike ride. At Ad Hoc, that’s embraced.
As a Manager of Engineering, you will be responsible for shaping the technical direction of the program and managing customer relationships from a technical perspective. A Manager of Engineering is a people manager, leader and mentor that effectively manages team members in support of delivery success. You will serve as a subject matter expert that is able to successfully lead through direct reports and effectively communicate and execute against program and organizational objectives. In this role, a Manager of Engineering will actively partner with peers to meet delivery requirements. A Manager of Engineering must exhibit strong communication skills, with the ability to coordinate among varying teams and departments to support adherence to standard processes and procedures in support of business unit and program efficiencies.
- Exhibits an understanding of program scope, schedule and cost; with the ability to articulate delivery requirements to team members
- Responsible for reporting upon program progress and communicating obstacles
- Provides coaching and development to engineering team members, defines growth goals and development plans, and creates a culture where people can learn and evolve
- Provides recommendations for pay, performance, and bonuses; escalates performance issues, supports onboarding and interviews, and supports internal mobility and key personnel processes
- Plans and delivers on complex projects, such as major re-architectures involving multiple teams, without explicit guidance
- Uses effective written communication and presentation skills to describe systems, design decisions, and past performance
- May participate in bid-writing, tech demos, strategic planning, and other customer-facing communications
- Responsible for hiring, performance management, timecard reviews, PTO management and team development
- Leads team processes and builds active, collaborative relationships with Program and Practice leadership
- Proactively identifies risks and collaborates with team members and leadership to mitigate the identified risks
- Presents program's ongoing Engineering work, future goals, and risks
- Exhibits strong influential skills to translate and communicate technical challenges and roadmaps
- Bachelor’s degree and 10+ years of experience
- 2+ or more years of people management experience, responsible for defining expectations for team operations and performance management; 3+ years experience directing assignments for cross-functional team
- Extensive experience with software development, customer interactions, formal and informal communication, and mentorship
- General understanding of government contracting requirements and regulations
- Experience managing a cross functional team
- Experience communicating with stakeholders
- Proficiency with SQL and understanding of our relational databases, PostgreSQL.
- Company-subsidized Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Use What You Need Vacation Policy
- 401K with employer match
- Paid parental leave after one year of service
Ad Hoc LLC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, pregnancy, disability, work-related injury, covered veteran status, political ideology, marital status, or any other factor that the law protects from employment discrimination.
In support of the Colorado Equal Pay Transparency Act, and others like it across the country, Ad Hoc job descriptions feature the starting range we reasonably expect to pay to candidates who would join our team with little to no need for training on the responsibilities we've outlined above. Actual compensation is influenced by a wide range of factors including but not limited to skill set, level of experience, and responsibility. The range of starting pay for this role is $150,000 - $170,000 and information on benefits offered is here. Our recruiters will be happy to answer any questions you may have, and we look forward to learning more about your salary requirements.
How to Apply
Note: We participate in E-Verify. Upon hire, we will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. This role is required to work from the contiguous United States. Unfortunately, we are unable to sponsor visas at this time.