Backend Software Developer, Options
Published on November 12, 2023
Wealthsimple is a financial services company on a mission to help everyone achieve financial freedom by providing products and advice that are accessible and affordable. Using smart technology, Wealthsimple takes financial services that are often confusing, opaque and expensive and makes them simple, transparent, and low-cost. With over 1 million people using Wealthsimple products, we are the market leader in Canada, and we’re fast-growing in the US and UK. Our team is working together to build one of the most innovative fintech companies in the world and we're looking for talented people who want to help us move fast, ship often and make a huge impact. Join us on our mission to make financial services simple and affordable for everyone!
- We have a microservice architecture with over 100+ services -- these services are a mixture of Ruby on Rails, Java/Kotlin, NodeJS and front end UI libraries written in React or React Native.
- We are currently evolving our architecture to adopt event-driven design with Kafka as well as using GraphQL APIs to represent our data model.
- We host our services on Amazon Web Services and use things like RDS, Aurora, SQS, SNS, S3, etc.
- We follow the latest best practices and have great tools for profiling, logging, tracing, tracking and experimenting.
- We have support from frontend platform, infrastructure, security and developer tools teams with a mission to help us work smarter and more efficiently.
- We have a Redshift based data warehouse that integrates data from our back-end that allows you build tight feedback loops between what you ship and how it impacts your feature, your product and the overall company.
- Learn about the foundations of Wealthsimple, and our current goals for the future that you will start to shape.
- Meet other new Wealthsimplers in your onboarding group and key people from each department, to start to build relationships across the company.
- Gather an understanding of our technology by pair-programming with your teammates and attending engineering onboarding sessions designed and presented by your peers.
- Have an assigned buddy within your team that will assist you in getting up-to-speed with our architecture and current projects.
- Learn Wealthsimple’s technical stack and apply our development patterns and best practices through your work.
- Buddy up for your first on-call rotation to help identify and resolve production issues and bugs clients have experienced.
- Contribute and support work in a new or existing product and share your work with the team.
- Learn how to query our data to measure the impact of your work.
- Support over a million clients on their financial journey by shipping your first project or feature in a secure, and scalable way. 🚀
- Reliably ship new features to our clients, following our best practices such as shipping daily, writing automated tests and monitoring.
- Contribute to or lead the technical design of a project, while understanding how it will shape our future architecture.
- Collaborate with other developers on the team while mentoring and providing continuous feedback via code reviews.
- Develop a big picture perspective and understand how our tools and frameworks come together. You’ll feel comfortable contributing to various codebases.
- Lead your first project: planning, scoping and regularly communicating progress to stakeholders to ensure the quality and timelines.
- Have provided leverage to our engineering teams by shipping new best practices and tools for all to benefit from.
- Participate in our hiring process and shape the growth of the Engineering team.
- Have worked closely with our product and design teams, contributing your own feedback and opinions on design and UX.