Senior Engineering Manager
Published on November 13, 2023
At User Interviews, we believe that the best companies in the world consistently deliver products and experiences that their customers love. We also believe that the only way to consistently build those products and experiences is to talk to your customers. Watch what they do. Understand why they do what they do. Figure out why they do things that seem irrational. And once you’ve done that once, do it again. Start having constant conversations. In short, make customers your #1 priority through user research. That’s why we exist. We help teams set up those conversations, allowing them to discover and embrace user insights. We currently do that by making it fast and easy to talk to customers, or potential customers, to help with product, design, or marketing decisions. We work with hundreds of companies every month, including user-centric organizations like Atlassian, Amazon, and Spotify.
User Interviews is a fully remote team and always has been. We are proactive about staying connected to each other despite not sharing the same physical space. Remote culture is real and we care about it—a lot. We’re a team of doers. You’ll be fully supported by your manager and team, but there won’t be anyone peering over your shoulder. You’ll be expected and trusted to take ownership of your work, and to communicate clearly and transparently with your distributed teammates. On a related note, we’re very pro-feedback. From our users, of course. But also from each other. From individual contributors right up to the CEO, this is a team that is genuinely committed to continuous improvement.
At User Interviews, we believe that the best companies in the world consistently deliver products and experiences that their customers love. We also believe that the only way to consistently build those products and experiences is to talk to your customers. Watch what they do. Understand why they do what they do. Figure out why they do things that seem irrational. And once you’ve done that once, do it again. Start having constant conversations. In short, make customers your #1 priority through user research.
That’s why we exist. We help teams set up those conversations, that research, allowing them to discover and embrace user insights. We specialize in participant recruitment and management because you cannot do good research without good participants, no matter how good your other tools may be. We work with hundreds of companies every month, including user-centric organizations like Atlassian, Amazon, and Spotify.
You'll be joining a team that cares deeply about talking to our users, creating great experiences for them, and incorporating their feedback into everything we do. Plus, it is a chance to build a product used by your peers at world class companies. There is a fun-meta-geekiness to the whole thing that never gets old. We work in a pod structure which includes a tech lead, PM, designer, and 4 engineers. The pod works together to determine what is going to be built next, how it is going to be built, and what we need to do to execute. As an effort is underway, we rely on constant communication to ensure we're always building the best possible solution and expect our engineers to take part in that process.
• The role: a senior engineering manager position on our RX (Researcher Experience) area, the pillar of our product that enables user researcher workflows.
• Manage engineers working on multiple work streams, split across 1-2 teams. Support and coach other technical leaders: senior / staff engineers, tech leads, and junior managers.
• Coach and mentor engineers, provide them with timely and helpful feedback, guide their career growth and professional development.
• Serve as a senior leader within our broader eng/product/design organization: identify problems, drive new organizational initiatives, evolve processes, and implement best practices. Collaborate with other engineering and cross-functional leaders.
• Team leadership:
- Support team’s long term success as a whole: ensure engagement and well-being of team, while shipping value to customers and having customer impact.
- Set goals and drive accountability on the team. Implement and evolve team processes to ensure engineering excellence and effective delivery.
- Partner with tech leads and senior engineers to help set ambitious but achievable technical milestones, guide technical direction and raise technical quality
- Partnering with Product, Design, UXR, and Data Science to ensure we're building a product with impact for our customers
- Long term planning: team structure, staffing, hiring and onboarding new engineers as the team grows
This is not a hands-on technical role (authoring code will not be a primary role) but familiarity with the following technologies is a plus:
• React, RTK Query Webpack, and SCSS
• Ruby on Rails, Sidekiq, ActiveInteraction, and RSpec
• Hosted on Heroku using Github and CircleCI for CI and automated testing
• 4+ years of industry experience in software engineering, 2+ years of experience managing and leading software teams
◦ Prior experience hiring, onboarding, coaching, mentoring, and growing engineers.
• Experience with technical architecture and large technical projects: architecting technical systems, writing and reviewing technical plans and designs
• Experience with project management and delivery
• Candidates must be located in the United States and authorized to work without any Visa sponsorship.
• Prior experience working in early-stage or growth-stage startups
• Prior experience Ruby on Rails or React
• Ability to learn quickly and adjust based on new requirements and direction
• Competitive Base Salary: $160k - $195k (based on experience)
• Annual Performance Bonus
• 100% premium covered medical + dental employee coverage
• Annual membership to One Medical Group & Talkspace
• 401k + employer contribution
• 4 weeks of PTO + accrue an additional day per year of employment
• Unlimited wellness days - Sick? Doctors appointment? Mental health day? We’ve got you covered.
• Flexible, paid parental leave
• Stock options for every employee
• $250 Office setup budget
• $50/month Work From Home stipend
• Awards for 360-degree recognition, work anniversaries, & birthdays
• Weekly engineering brunch and learns to discuss what we're working on or learning in and outside of the workplace.
• Cool inside jokes and references like Rs and Ps, Party Gritty, and Tacos.
We are committed to accessibility, equity, diversity, and inclusion. We build products for and welcome participants, researchers, and employees from a diverse set of backgrounds. These backgrounds include—but are not limited to—varied socioeconomic status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, race, ethnicity, age, neurodivergence, disability, and citizenship. As we grow, we are aware that this work is continuous. We will not settle for how things are, but rather strive for how they could be.