Software Engineering Manager
Similar to our recipes, we recognize that variety is the spice of life, and therefore, our employees also bring their uniqueness and color to our fantastic team. We’re eager to work with humble team players and pragmatic next-level thinkers to innovate on Home Chef’s offerings.
While most of us continue to work remotely, our newly renovated headquarters at the Old Post Office is open for voluntary return to work. Our organization is closely following the evolving COVID-19 pandemic and will share updates on our 2022 return to the office plan as soon as any decisions are made.
As the Software Engineering Manager you will help manage our teams workflow, solve business problems and grow and mentor the teams capabilities through your leadership. Our stack is Ruby on Rails and React, but that doesn't mean you have to be an expert in those to apply. We're looking for someone who has a broad range of technical expertise with a passion for building and bettering teams.
- Meets regularly with direct reports
- Works with and provides input to the Director of Engineering to help set processes for their teams
- Takes input from the Tech Leads on areas of improvement for their direct reports
- Sets performance goals for their direct reports
- Administers mid-year and year-end performance reviews
- Provides input to Director and VP of Engineering on raises and promotions for their direct reports
- Can clearly communicate idiosyncrasies and trade offs in advanced technical topics, and can confidently make the final decision, with buy-in, on those topics
- Providing detailed, constructive feedback on pull requests in a timely fashion
- Enabling engineers to ship code to production efficiently
- Pairing with software engineers to write code
- Assisting with software engineers to discover opportunities for them to grow their skill-set and learn, both technically and non-technically
- Leading meetings about various technical topics or sprints
- Often taking technical/architecture lead on large projects
- Understands technical impact on product planning, and communicates that clearly to product team
- Actively seeks strategic ways to improve company and increase positive outcomes in Technology
- Works with stakeholders and their teams’ product managers to build a collaborative relationship and guide their teams to success.
- Is highly accountable to individual and team commitments, while also having the ability to hold team accountable
The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, ability and/or other characteristics needed for this role. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities.
- Comprehensive Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance – benefits start the 1st day of the month following your start date
- Company paid Life Insurance, Short Term Disability and Long Term Disability
- 401k Employer match - 50% on the $1, up to 6% of the employee's earnings
- We offer flexible spending accounts (FSA) for qualified Medical, Dependent Care, Parking, or Transit expenses
- Flexible paid time off (PTO) policy, plus sick days
- Generous Parental Leave
- Great Work/Life Balance – We value and support each individual team member
- Quarterly company-wide “Town Hall” meetings
- Ongoing professional development opportunities by level and function
- Your choice of Windows or Mac laptop, plus an extra screen
- Onsite gym
- Weekly Fooda credit
- Newly renovated office in the historic Old Main Post Office which is located close to multiple Metra and CTA options
- Employee discounts through Perkspot
- Discounts on Home Chef meal kits and at Kroger stores
- Casual dress in a fun, friendly and collaborative work environment
Candidates can experience Home Chef as a customer - enter promo code PEOPLE30 for $30 off your first order!
How We Work Together
How We Work Together
We are humble team players.
We are warm and gracious with team members and customers. We seek feedback to improve ourselves - and respectfully listen to and accept input.
We are pragmatic next-level thinkers.
We come up with novel and unique ideas. We explore new strategies to avoid being constrained by conventional thinking.
We take ownership.
We approach ambiguous problems, prepared to dive in, get curious, and learn more. We are results-driven, always challenging ourselves to exceed goals.
Be at Home at Home Chef
We all show up authentically at Home Chef. Our team includes individuals with a variety of identities, backgrounds, and perspectives. You can trust that you’ll be able to bring your whole self to an inclusive and enjoyable workplace.
We welcome people of all races, colors, religions, national origin or ancestry, sex (including sexual identity), age, physical or mental disabilities, pregnancy, veteran or military status, unfavorable discharge from military service, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, order of protection status, citizenship status, arrest record or expunged/sealed convictions, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state, or local law.
Home Chef is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, Home Chef will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact our People team at [email protected].
Home Chef is an equal opportunity employer.
To view the California Applicant notice click here