Senior Fullstack Engineer (all genders)
Published on November 27, 2023
Founded in 2007, today Babbel is the top-grossing language learning app. It was the first app of its kind and now has millions of active subscribers. Fast Company Magazine ranked Babbel as the world’s #1 most innovative company in education. Meticulously designed courses guarantee to teach you language skills that are useful from the start. 73% of users indicated that they’d be able to have a short, simple conversation in their new language within five hours of using Babbel.
Babbel is the world’s first and most sold online language learning platform, driven by the purpose to create mutual understanding through language. This means building an ecosystem of language learning offerings that helps people connect across cultures. Babbel, Babbel Live and Babbel for Business provide users with the most effective solution to be able to communicate with real people, in real situations. Babbel’s team consists of 750 Babbelonians representing over 65 different nationalities working in Berlin and New York.
We are looking for a Senior Fullstack Engineer to join our office in Berlin!
Your mission will be to build software integrations for Enterprise applications and ensure a seamless experience for our B2B customers and their learners. As a Senior Fullstack Engineer, you will play a crucial role in making our products enterprise-ready. Your primary responsibility will be to design, develop, and maintain integration components for enterprise customers, focusing on technologies such as Ruby on Rails, NodeJS, React, MySQL, DinamoDB and AWS solutions. You will join a cross-functional team to work together with the Engineering Manager, Product Manager, and other team members from different disciplines while having the autonomy and accountability to drive the organization forward, acting as a technical leader and mentor within the team.
- Deliver value iteratively by building and maintaining high-quality apps, services, and tools
- Take on the technical leadership for the development of your team's initiatives
- Lead or contribute to architectural design decisions and constantly propose improvements to the overall architecture
- Support less experienced engineers in the team (and other teams) in their professional growth
- Collaborate with other teams on feature design, architectural decisions, and assessing technical debt
- Ensure maintainability, security, and scalability of our software components
- Take an active role in shaping product development and evolution
- React, troubleshoot, and solve operational events (bugs and incidents)
- Focus on continuous learning and improvement and drive the evolution of our engineering practices.
- Deliver high-quality technical documentation and technical design documents
- You're comfortable working with both front-end and back-end languages
- Experience in designing and building scalable systems and high-performance applications
- Experience building applications using Ruby / Ruby on Rails / NodeJS or similar
- Experience working with modern front-end stacks and libraries such as React, VueJS, and EcmaScript
- Experience with SQL and NoSQL databases (like MySQL, Postgres, AWS DynamoDB)
- Strong knowledge of RESTful API design and third-party API integrations
- Strong understanding of distributed systems and event-driven architecture
- Knowledge of analyzing metrics about system health and performance (for example DataDog, CloudWatch, PagerDuty, Rollbar)
- Experience in using AWS (ECS, API Gateway, Kinesis, Lambda, CloudWatch, S3)
- Testing experience on different levels: unit, integration, etc
- Strong desire to learn new things and share knowledge with others
- Experience in mentoring other engineers
Some perks of becoming a Babbelonian:
- Enjoy 30 vacation days and the chance to take a 3-month Sabbatical. Plus family and life situation counseling.
- Decide how, when and from where you want to work with our flexible working hours and remote friendly options as Jobbatical (up to 3 months inside the EU) or work from our fully equipped office with nap, faith and family rooms.
- Learn and grow with the internal learning opportunities, and use a yearly learning & development budget for external training. Learn languages with Babbel for free with your full access to Babbel & Babbel Live classes.
- Take advantage of your mobility benefits options and a discounted Urban Sports Club membership.
- Be part of our employee communities (such as Femgineers, DE&I Ambassadors and LGBTQIA groups), attend cultural and regular social events.
Diversity at Babbel
As part of our ongoing journey towards building a diverse, equitable and inclusive company, we welcome everyone to apply, especially those individuals who are underrepresented in tech. We are a learning company, inside and out, and we encourage you to apply even if you do not fit all the technical requirements - all candidates are assessed based on skills, qualifications and on our business needs. Please state your pronouns in your application, and let us know if you’d like to be addressed by a name other than the one appearing on your official documents. If you have a disability or special need, feel welcome to inform us, so that we can provide you with the proper assistance in the application process.