Backend Staff Engineer (Ruby)
Join us on our mission to make a better world of work.
Culture Amp revolutionizes how over 25 million employees across 6,000 companies create a better world of work. As the global platform leader for employee experience, Culture Amp empowers companies of all sizes and industries to transform employee engagement, develop high performing teams, and retain talent via cutting-edge research, powerful technology, and the largest employee dataset in the world. The most innovative companies across the globe, such as Salesforce, Unilever, PwC, KIND, SoulCycle, Celonis and BigCommerce depend on Culture Amp every day.
Culture Amp is backed by 10 years of innovation, leading capital venture funds, and offices in the U.S, U.K, Germany and Australia. Culture Amp is recognized as one of the world’s top private cloud companies by Forbes and one of the most innovative workplace companies by Fast Company.
Learn more about how Culture Amp can help you create a better world of work at cultureamp.com.
Culture Amp is a remote-first company and this position may be based anywhere within Australia or New Zealand. The role can be fully remote, or a mix of in-person if you’re based near our Melbourne office.
About the role
You’ll be joining a growing team that is responsible for evolving and maintaining our pipeline for ingesting, enriching and sharing employee data across the Culture Amp platform.
Working with domain driven design, event sourcing and CQRS - you’ll help the team navigate current challenges and build new features to enrich employee data while setting us up for future scale.
You’ll play a leading role in coaching engineers to maintain a high standard of overall software quality, data security and performance within the Employee Data Team.
As a Backend Staff Engineer at Culture Amp you can expect to:
- Tackle a wide variety of technical problems across our codebases as you build features and help us evolve our distributed, event-driven pipeline.
- Collaborate and guide other engineers in your team through pair/mob programming, writing solution designs, or giving feedback on pull requests, to build shared understanding of your work.
- Work with the product managers in your team to understand customer problems and help to develop, refine, and then implement solutions.
- Play a driving role in coaching and uplifting quality engineering practices in the team.
- Work with engineering leadership to adapt and refine our architectural vision and roadmap.
This job is for you if:
- You have experience in building and maintaining software at scale. You understand fundamental engineering concepts, scalability, security, and maintainability.
- You enjoy tackling complex problems, exploring new territory or finding innovative solutions to improve the developer experience
- You are a proactive and clear communicator. You’re comfortable communicating with a wide range of audiences including engineers outside the team, customer support representatives and product managers.
- Your process involves documenting your work. You write code that is consistent, maintainable, and understood by your teammates.
- You are proficient with Ruby (or are willing to learn).
- You take a domain-driven approach to modeling data and understand/are curious about patterns such as event sourcing & CQRS.
- You’re self-motivated and can work independently. You take the initiative to ensure that you have everything you need to work efficiently and call for support when required.
- You’re aligned with our values and demonstrate them through your working practice.
It’s not expected that any single candidate would check every box here — what’s important is that you arrive with a strong set of fundamentals, and that you’re committed to building the skills you’ll need to do great work. Similarly, while we use a range of specific technologies — Kafka, AWS, TypeScript, Ruby, Go, Kotlin — you don’t need to have direct experience with them for this position and there’ll be opportunities to learn as part of the role.
Research shows us that candidates from underrepresented backgrounds often don’t apply for roles unless they meet all the criteria. We strongly encourage you to apply if you’re at all interested. We’d love to learn how your unique experience will improve our teams and widen our perspective.
Supporting you at work
We ensure you have the tools and support you need to thrive, both inside and outside of work:
- A new computer and budgets for setting you up to work where and how you want
- A stake in the company’s success through our employee share options program
- Flexible working hours and arrangements so you can create a schedule that suits you
- Generous parental leave allowances and at-work support programs for both primary and secondary carers
- Resources and flexible budgets for coaching, well-being, and to support your growth