Ruby on Rails Developer - Remote
Published on December 14, 2022
About Open Core Ventures
Open Core Ventures (OCV) is a venture capital firm that starts commercial open source software companies. Our team identifies open source software projects with traction, recruits passionate project founders and contributors, and launches new companies. OCV companies aim to create tangible value for the open source community by providing access to resources and reducing the barrier to entrepreneurship.
OCV believes in the power of open core, and the impact of open learning and collaboration. Our approach diverges from conventional venture capital because OCV starts companies and recruits founders; OCV does not invest in existing companies. The OCV model enables experienced, capable, and technical founders who otherwise would not have the resources to launch a successful startup. See our Public Handbook here and more information on our recruiting process here.
Sid Sijbrandij, founder and CEO of GitLab, serves as our General Partner.
About This Role
We are looking to hire a talented Ruby on Rails Developer to automate certain workflow and collaboration processes. Automation is crucial to help us reach a goal of 2,000 new portfolio companies per year. You will be responsible for developing and maintaining our automation platform, testing performance, troubleshooting, and integrating front-end elements into the application.
To ensure success as a Ruby on Rails Developer, you should have extensive experience working with Ruby and back-end integration techniques. The successful candidate will also demonstrate a track record of workflow automation and the ability to understand business issues, needs, and independently create PRDs to address these. This role will work with our COO, GP, and Business Operations Manager directly.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Automate workflows by creating new or integrating existing software applications. Example projects include:
- Building an engine that generates new company names based on pre-defined criteria (including searching external sites for trademark / domain name availability, etc.)
- Creating a database and input forms that automate data intake from OCV portfolio companies and kick off automated workflows such as employee offer letter generation, management review, and signature / record management
- Tracking performance metrics of existing open source projects.
- Build collaboration tools with external partners to increase speed and efficiency
- For example, auto generate a checklist and pre-populate a data room with “prepared by client” files for year-end tax preparation.
- Assess trade-offs between buy vs. build for both short-term goals and long-term planning. Recommend and integrate with best-in class software solutions.
- Manage and build API connectors with external data sources such as LinkedIn, Carta, QuickBooks Online, Greenhouse, etc.
- Check out the codebase here.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, or related field.
- Experience working with Ruby on Rails.
- Track record of completing successful workflow automation projects.
- Excellent communications skills and ability to independently build product requirement documents (PRDs) is a must.
The actual offer, reflecting the total compensation package and benefits, will be at the company’s sole discretion and determined by a myriad of factors, including, but not limited to, years of experience, depth of experience, and other relevant business considerations. The company also reserves the right to amend or modify employee perks and benefits at any time.
At Open Core Ventures, we operate in a transparent environment, with clear terms and open communication, guided by our public handbook. We celebrate and embrace differences as a strength and source of innovation. We dare to dream, dare to lead, and dare to change. We are resourceful, think creatively, and adapt quickly. We persevere, take challenges head-on, and do not bat an eye at the hard stuff.
Open Core Ventures is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employers. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status.