Software Engineering Team Lead Ruby (remote)
Published on December 13, 2022
Are you looking to have an impact on the daily life of millions of entrepreneurs in France and Europe?
Do you thrive in a trustful, fast-paced environment?
Do you feel like our Engineering principles are aligned with your vision ?
Then Pennylane might be the right place for you — and you, might be the perfect fit for this role 🙂
We aim to become the most beloved financial Operating System of European SMEs.
We help business owners get rid of the time consuming hassle of handling accounting and finance, while giving them access to key information that they can use to make better decisions.
Meanwhile, we’re helping accountants. By using Pennylane, rather than doing manual and repetitive tasks, they can spend more time advising and guiding their clients.
Pennylane is one of the fastest growing Fintechs in France (and soon to be in Europe!)
In 3 years of existence, we’ve managed to :
💻 Make ourselves known as a groundbreaking accounting and financial software for small businesses and their accountants
💰 Raise a total of €84 millions, including from Sequoia 🌲, the famous fund from the Silicon Valley who invested early in companies like Google, Facebook, Airbnb, Stripe, Paypal and much more...
👨👩👧👦 Grow from 7 cofounders to 300+ happy Pennylaners : we’re now recognized as one of the greatest places to work in France (but also remotely), with a 5/5 rating on Glassdoor and an e-NPS of 94.
🌍 Build an international environment with more than 26 nationalities, with a strong remote-friendly culture, where 30% of the employees are already working from all parts of Europe
🤝 Earn the trust of thousands of customers and accounting firms and obtain outstanding ratings
WHY this position is of utmost importance to reach our mission
While some companies count on marketing and sales to gain market share, we are a product-led company and we are investing primarily on building an innovative and scalable platform. Tech teams have a crucial role to play to achieve this goal.
HOW you will contribute to the company as an Engineering Team Lead
As we scale and increase the number of customers on our platform, numbers of squads are growing. Here, you will be managing and guiding a team of 4-8 engineers, combined with being hands on and facing some complex technical challenges and tasks.
At the moment, our tech team is divided into 18 squads. Each squad is composed of 4-8 developers, is led by a Team Lead (could it be you?), and works with a Product Manager and a Product Designer
Squads are organized into 4 product tracks. Each track is led by an Engineering Manager, and works with a Lead Product Manager and Lead Product Designer.
WHAT you can expect from your life at Pennylane
Within one month :
- You will learn everything about our company, our teams, and our vision during the first onboarding week.
- You will follow the common tech onboarding trainings to get familiar with the application, the accounting concepts, and our coding practices.
- You will report to an Engineering Manager and work at the squad level to identify tech challenges and remove the largest blockers to software quality and velocity.
- You will guide your squad and communicate our technical vision. You will work with a Product Manager and Designer on task implementation, focusing on a particular feature.
Within 3-6 months :
- You will be comfortable within your squad perimeter, people and best practices.
- You'll be able to provide leadership within medior tech community at Pennylane.
- You'll be able to identify developers' key strengths and areas of improvement to help them grow.
- You will be able to collaborate with the Engineering Managers and other Team Leads to set up the appropriate processes and help scale tech teams and tech practices as we grow.
And beyond :
- The teams are growing fast, there are plenty of opportunity to grow and develop your skills further and see how we are scaling our tech teams in the long run.
- You will be the go to person for any technical questions from developers and help shape them into even better techs.
- You will have the possibility to have impact at Pennylane scale by working on cross teams or transversal initiatives.
- You will participate in scaling the Pennylane application from 10k+ customers to infinity, and beyond.
What do we do to make your work life easier
🏢 You'll be able to work remotely from anywhere in Europe, as long as your contract allows you to
💵 You’ll have a compensation package between 85k and 120k depending on your level of experience
📈 You'll get company shares to enjoy a piece of the success story you're building with us
🏡 You’ll have a budget to turn your home into a more comfortable workspace, as well as a monthly allowance to work from a coworking space whenever you feel like it
⛹️Through our partner Gymlib, you’ll have access to 8000 fitness spaces in Europe and more than 300 activities related to wellness
🇬🇧 You’ll have access to Busuu to perfect your English or your French
💻 You’ll get the latest Apple equipment
🎉 You’ll be part of a vibrant social community : we do lots of sports together (Foot, running, climbing...), we love to hang out and have a drink together (thursday afterwork drinks on our rooftop is a usual thing. Twice-a-year we do company seminars, last time we went on a trip to the French Alps and it was fabulous !)
And.. If you're based in France :
🏢 You’ll be able to work fully from your home or any co-working space in France, or from our wonderful office in the center of Paris
🏝You’ll get 10 additional days off (to the 25 standard ones) to rest and do what you love each year
🍜 You’ll have lunch credits (Swile card) to buy your favorite food every day
🏥 You’ll have a great healthcare cover (Alan Blue) to take care of yourself and your family
We're working on providing those last advantages to our people based outside of France as well, but it can be quite more complex depending on different countries.
What does the recruitment process look like ?
- You will first have a general chat with a Talent Acquisition Manager (30 min)
- You'll have a take-at-home assignment to test your skills with Ruby on Rails
- You'll have a debriefing session with one of our senior engineers (1 h)
- You’ll have a discussion with Charlene, our Senior HR business partner (30 mins)
- You’ll have a last discussion with our Co-founder (1 h)
We make sure we move fast ; you can expect the recruitment process with us to last between 15 and 25 days in total.
Who are we looking for ?
You may have noticed that there was no section listing the skills or qualities required to apply for this specific job. Researches have shown that some people are less likely to apply than others, if they don’t feel like they meet the full list of criteria. So we have decided to take it down entirely.
We have tried to give you as much details as we could about the purpose, missions and environment of this role; it is now up to you to tell us if you think this is a position in which you could a) have fun and b) bring value to our company.
If you’re hesitating, we encourage you to apply anyway: worst case scenario, you might lose a few minutes, and in the best case, it will be the start of a meaningful and long-lasting collaboration.
We also want to emphasise that we fully embrace diversity and that we’re doing our best to create a safe and inclusive environment. We are committed to providing an equal employment opportunity regardless of gender, sexual orientation, origin, disabilities, or any other traits that make you who you are. If anything, diversity makes us a more fun place to work at.
To end with a humble illustration of our commitment, we’ve recently signed the Pacte Parité to set concrete goals in building a better and more inclusive workplace in the years to come.