Senior Backend Engineer (Ruby on Rails)
Published on December 13, 2022
Our marketplace product squad is responsible for improving the experience and success rate for both candidates and companies in our marketplace, as well as enabling our operational teams to provide an excellent service.
We are looking for a Senior Backend Engineer to join our marketplace product squad as part of our larger product group. Our product squads are cross-functional teams of talented engineers, product managers and designers working together to design and deliver impactful, quality software.
You will be a part of the Marketplace Product Squad, which is responsible for improving the experience and success rate for all participants in our marketplace and enabling our operational teams to provide excellent service. We’re big on developer productivity (hence React, GraphQL, Ruby on Rails), continuous improvement (we’re currently doing Kent C. Dodds’ epicreact.dev) and delivering value to customers (check out the feature we released last quarter: https://lnkd.in/gKYRruQ).
*This is a remote role based in either Nigeria, Kenya or South Africa.
What you’ll do:
- Design, test, and ship great backend code every week to build impactful new features for users and internal operational teams
- Influence, and at times lead, the design and architecture of backend features
- Upskill engineers with junior level back-end experience through active mentoring, code reviews and internal backend forums
- Work with a wide range of systems, stakeholders, processes and technologies to solve engineering problems
- Uphold our engineering standards and processes
- Debug production issues across services, and help ensure a stable application for the marketplace
- Document feature designs and architectural decisions
- Contribute to the technical and product roadmap
You’ll be a great fit for this role if you:
- Minimum of 5 years experience in software development
- Minimum of 3 years of experience working with Ruby on Rails in a production environment
- Excellent at solving problems
- Able to clearly articulate solutions for a technical and non-technical audience
- Good architectural design ability - understand patterns, algorithm complexity, responsibility separation, component-oriented design, data modelling
- Experience writing tests to cover all permutations of added functionality
- Creating documentation for feature designs or architectural choices so that new engineers can quickly start contributing effectively
- Experience with databases
- Experience with non-relational databases (specifically MongoDB) is a bonus
- Room in your closet for numerous free t-shirts
What it's like to work here
We love to do fun stuff together. We are focused on building a connected tribe and a sense of belonging. We value unique and diverse approaches and ensure we create opportunities to share and learn from each other. We have regular online and in-person team events, show and tell and a book club as well as regional and annual off-site events.
We're dedicated to authenticity: We treat people as people, caring personally and speaking openly. We foster low-ego behaviour - we own our mistakes as well as our victories. We're never about blame. We're always about honesty, learning and continuous improvement. We ensure lots of transparency and visibility. From OKRs and strategy to analytics and company performance numbers, it's all available for you to see and understand.
We're passionate about learning and levelling up: Everyone at OfferZen strives for a growth mindset and has an annual training budget to use to upskill. We have internal book clubs which include free books, listen to podcasts, share expertise obsessively, and then take on hard challenges with smart guidance and support. When things go wrong, we look for learnings and how to improve.
We're all about balance: We believe that maintaining a healthy balance between home and work is the key to feeling happier and more productive. We work fully remote, provide an annual 'unsick' day to use at your leisure and also offer 24 days of leave a year which is available to use from the time you start.
The OfferZen Story
OfferZen is on a mission to improve the experience of finding work for people involved in making software, from developers to designers and data scientists through the utilisation of our world class online recruitment marketplace. We do this by flipping the traditional recruitment model on its head and getting companies to reach out to candidates with upfront offers.
Over the last 6 years, we have managed to make a large dent in the South African online tech recruitment marketplace – and we're speeding up. We have a team of 150+ people with offices in both Cape Town and Amsterdam. At 6 years young, we're still in an exciting scale-up phase which allows us to develop new and exciting ideas, innovate our product, and think creatively about solving real problems.
- Empathy Can't Be Automated: Solving Complex Problems in a Tech Marketplace. This article gives more insight into the world of tech marketplace advisors and what they do.
- One of the Tech Talent Advisors, wrote about her experience of working at OfferZen on our blog.