Senior Software Engineer, DevX
Published on December 13, 2022
Everyone is welcome at Handshake. We know diverse teams build better products and we are committed to creating an inclusive culture built on a foundation of respect for all individuals. We strongly encourage candidates from non-traditional backgrounds, historically marginalized or underrepresented groups to apply.
If you are not sure that you’re 100% qualified, but up for the challenge – we want you to apply. We believe skills are transferable and passion for our mission goes a long way.
Handshake is building a diverse team of dynamic engineers who value creating a high quality, high impact product. We are hiring a Senior Software Engineer reporting to the Engineering Manager, on the Developer Experience squad. We are looking for engineers with demonstrated experience shipping cloud-based software and working with CI/CD tools. You'll be supporting a team of talented engineers by understanding and improving the developer experience to optimize the delivery of high-quality, secure, scalable software.
- Consult, educate, and empower engineers as they build & ship innovative software.
- Research, prototype and develop solutions in support of the adoption of new technologies and architecture.
- Develop systems and processes to maximize the efficiency of our continuous integration pipeline and testing infrastructure.
- Gather regular feedback about developer experience through pair programming and surveying.
- Engage with engineers throughout the company to learn about pain points, and work alongside a technical lead to define and prioritize solutions.
- You have a strong sense of ownership and a passion for efficiency and writing clean, high quality code.
- You have a solid understanding of software engineering best practices and demonstrated ability to be flexible.
- You are a self-starter with the desire and drive to make things around you better, to learn and grow professionally.
- You are empathetic with a strong desire to help fellow engineers grow and do their jobs efficiently.
- You have experience working in an Agile team environment.
- You are familiar with cloud technologies (AWS, GCP, etc).
- You are proficient with CI/CD tools.
You’ll work with these technologies:
- Scripting Languages (bash)
- Ruby on Rails, RSpec
- React, TypeScript, Redux
- Terraform, Docker, Kubernetes
- GCP, AWS
- GitHub, Buildkite, CircleCI
- Nx, Bazel
- Previous working experience developing internal tools for a growing engineering org, such as: CI builds, testing infrastructure, and/or test data.
- Previous working experience instrumenting dashboards for engineering lead time metrics.
- Designing, implementing, and maintaining CI and testing infrastructure from the ground up.
Bonus Areas of Expertise:
- Experience with Ruby on Rails
- Experience with Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience with microservices and service-oriented architecture
$127,000 - $200,000
For cash compensation, we set standard ranges for all U.S.-based roles based on function, level, and geographic location, benchmarked against similar stage growth companies. In order to be compliant with local legislation, as well as to provide greater transparency to candidates, we share salary ranges on all job postings regardless of desired hiring location. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors, including geographic location as well as candidate experience and expertise, and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Handshake is the #1 place to launch a career with no connections, experience, or luck required. The platform connects up-and-coming talent with 650,000+ employers - from Fortune 500 companies like Google, Nike, and Target to thousands of public school districts, healthcare systems, and nonprofits. Earlier this year, we announced our $200M Series F funding round. This Series F fundraise and new valuation of $3.5B will fuel Handshake’s next phase of growth and propel our mission to help more people start, restart, and jumpstart their careers.
When it comes to our workforce strategy, we’ve thought deeply about how work-life should look here at Handshake. With our Hub-Based Remote Working strategy, employees can enjoy the flexibility of remote work, whilst ensuring collaboration and team experiences in a shared space remains possible. Handshake is headquartered in San Francisco with offices in Denver, New York, and London and teammates working globally. So, whether you live on the coasts, the midwest, or overseas, chances are we have a hub near you offering the best of both worlds.
Check out our careers site to find a hub near you!
What We Offer:
At Handshake, we'll give you the tools to feel healthy, happy and secure.
- 💰Equity and ownership in a fast-growing company.
- 🍼16 Weeks of paid parental leave for birth giving parents & 10 weeks of paid parental leave for non-birth giving parents.
- 💝Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision policies including LGTBQ+ Coverage. We also provide resources for Mental Health Assistance, Employee Assistance Programs and counseling support.
- 💻Handshake offers $500/£360 home office stipend for you to spend during your first 3 months to create a productive and comfortable workspace at home.
- 📚Generous learning & development opportunities and an annual $2,000/£1,500 stipend for you to grow your skills and career.
- 🏦401k Match: Handshake offers a dollar-for-dollar match on 1% of deferred salary, up to a maximum of $1,200 per year.
- 🏝 All full-time US-based Handshakers are eligible for our flexible time off policy to get out and see the world. In addition, we offer 8 standardized holidays, and 2 additional days of flexible holiday time off. Lastly, we have a Summer and Winter #ShakeBreak, two one-week periods of Collective Time Off.
- 🏦Pension Scheme: Handshake will provide you with a workplace pension, where you will make contributions based on 5% of your salary. Handshake will pay the equivalent of 3% towards your pension plan, subject to qualifying earnings limits.
- 🏝Up to 25 days of vacation to encourage people to reset, recharge, and refresh, in addition to 8 bank holidays throughout the year.
Benefits above apply to employees in full-time positions.
Looking for more? Explore our mission, values and comprehensive US benefits at joinhandshake.com/careers.