Lead Software Engineer
Published on February 12, 2024
Who we are
DebtBook is an industry-leading fintech software platform that revolutionizes the way local governments, higher education, healthcare organizations and their finance teams work. Our powerful, cloud-based software helps public finance teams manage all aspects of their debt, leases, and subscriptions, streamline financial reporting, and share information simply with others.
We are driven by a collective commitment to foster a Growth Mindset, exemplify the strength of One Team, consistently go Above and Beyond, and Take Ownership of our responsibilities and outcomes. Our mission is to cultivate an environment where innovation thrives, and our team members are empowered to reach their full potential.
About this Role
We are looking for a Lead Software Engineer on our Ecosystem Team to help us continue to build our platform. We have multiple engineering teams that are broken out based on product area, and we staff our teams with full-stack engineers. Each team is expected to frequently and incrementally deliver improvements to our application. We aim to release code at least once a week, and have all teams ship code at least weekly. In addition to writing code, Lead Engineers are expected to contribute to managing the projects they are working on, help solve process and architectural problems, help onboard new engineers, and mentor early career engineers.
- Lead important features involving other engineers. This includes doing some project management work.
- Break down requirements into tickets to be shipped frequently, not in large chunks.
- Write code and tests to deliver updates to the application, releasing new code every week.
- Review merge requests to help work get completed.
- Integrate feedback from reviews quickly and help other engineers integrate feedback and move work forward.
- Participate in our weekly release engineer rotation.
- Participate in our weekly on-hours triage rotation to help triage bugs and issues.
- Help interview, and onboard new engineers. We take a hands-on approach to onboarding and jump into pair programming to help unblock our teammates.
- Expected to ramp up and be proficient on the general FE, BE, and the Schema patterns of our application within 3 months.
Qualifications and Experience
- 6+ years professional Software Engineering experience
- Professional experience with Ruby on Rails, React, and SQL
- Professional experience writing tests in Rspec or Minitest
- Professional experience leading large projects
- Professional experience in SQL schema design
Technologies We Use
- We have a majestic monolith built with Ruby on Rails, PostgreSQL, and React
- Our app is hosted in AWS and we have CI/CD pipelines and deployments in GitLab
Our interview process includes both behavioral and technical assessments, and is meant to give you a sense of what it’s like to be an engineer at DebtBook.
Your first conversation will be with a recruiter from the Talent team, and as you progress in the process, you’ll have the opportunity to connect with the hiring manager, other engineers on the team, and your partners in Product.
- Annual salary range is: $145,000-$170,000 based on experience
- This role is eligible for an up to 10% annual bonus
Proud to be named one of the “Best Places to Work” by Charlotte’s Business Journal, DebtBook is a fast-growing company where we dream big, move fast, make an impact, and bring joy to everything we do. Our core values drive our success as an organization, and we are looking for talented teammates who share our passion for challenging the status quo, innovating in all we do, and wanting to make a difference.
DebtBook is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value diversity and prohibit discrimination and unlawful harassment in the workplace. All applicants will receive consideration for employment based upon their qualifications without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ethnicity, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, marital status, genetic information, political affiliation, National Guard or veteran status, disability, or any other protected status under federal, state, or local law. We welcome and encourage applicants with disabilities to contact our team for assistance during the application and hiring process. We are committed to expanding accessibility and making reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable law.