Software Engineer, Full Stack (Remote)
Morning Brew is looking for a Full-Stack Engineer II passionate about building approachable, innovative and user-first experiences to join our small but growing Engineering team. You’ll be responsible for building and maintaining backend and frontend functionality across all of Morning Brew’s applications. We’re looking for someone who leans backend but is dangerous enough on the frontend of the stack. Preferably, you have strong Ruby on Rails experience but you’re also very interested in helping the team move away from Rails. This role sits within Product and reports to the Director of Engineering.
Here’s what you’ll be working on:
- Building out new and enhancing existing internal tools, consumer facing websites & newsletter experiences
- Helping to shape and build paid products and services within our new and fast moving Education arm of the company
- Helping to maintain a couple legacy Rails 5 monolithic applications while also helping to decide how we break these apart or retire as needed.
- Building new services in an event driven architecture and seeing the service through from inception to production
- Collaborating with the engineering team, performing code review and helping to set best development practices and guidelines
- Collaborating with Product Managers, Product Designers and other engineers to plan, design and implement business requirements
What makes you qualified?
- 3+ years of software engineering experience with a strong focus on building, maintaining and deploying production ready code within a event driven architecture
- 1+ years of experience building, deploying and maintaining GraphQL or REST APIs
- 1+ years of experience managing Linux-based systems in a public cloud like AWS or GCP
- Strong experience in Ruby is preferred; Golang experience is a huge plus
- Strong experience in building paid products and services is preferred
- You can work independently and are comfortable owning entire projects and/or large areas of the code base
- You are passionate about creating & maintaining good principled software patterns for others on the team to follow
- You are comfortable working in a fast-paced, startup environment and willing to wear many hats
Our General Tech Stack:
- REST and GraphQL APIs
What else are we looking for?
Character and integrity rank pretty high on the list. Our team is guided by our core values:
How We Treat Each Other:
· Respectful Candor -- We believe that engaging in timely, constructive, and open discourse is an act of respect that makes for a more transparent and productive work environment.
· Empathy -- We establish a strong partnership of trust with our co-workers and partners. We build human connections in order to understand each other.
· Inclusivity -- We strive to celebrate and welcome people of diverse backgrounds and cultures. Differing perspectives help us make better decisions and have more fulfilling experiences.
How We Treat Our Work:
· Curiosity -- We learn every day through deliberate inquiry and exploration. We re-examine assumptions to be a better company, offer better products, and become better colleagues.
· Accountability -- We celebrate our successes and own our failures. Taking responsibility for our actions allows us to learn from our experiences.
· Bias Toward Action -- We know speed matters in business so we embrace quick and calculated risk-taking. We understand that many actions are reversible and therefore we are solutions-oriented, even when facing obstacles and challenges.
· Challenger Mentality -- We don’t allow ourselves to be comfortable with our success. We are hungry to become the best and create more value for our audience.
· Clarity of Purpose -- We understand the “why” in our work, which helps us to operate at our highest level of performance and efficiency.
While being surrounded by a bunch of cool people who look great in crewnecks is its own reward, we have plenty more to offer.
Unlimited sick and vacation time: And by “unlimited,” we mean absolutely unlimited.
Remote-work friendly: Work from home, work from the office, work from the moon — you decide.
401(k) employer match: We want to help you prepare for the future, now.
Premium healthcare plans: Your health matters!
Annual learning credit: Want to learn something new? We'll pay for it.
Morning Brew is committed to building a diverse and inclusive team that’s representative of our audience.