VP of Engineering
Published on December 22, 2022
Share Local Media, or SLM, is a rapidly growing startup reimagining the world of offline marketing for tech and e-commerce companies. We started as e-commerce marketers ourselves, and launched SLM with a goal of turning direct mail into a high performing, scalable channel for a digitally native client set. To do so, we’ve taken an inputs based-approach to the space, and re-engineered the channel from the ground up to make it easier to test, faster to execute, more measurable, and ultimately, more effective for e-commerce and tech clients of all types.
So what does SLM actually do? We’re a full-service direct mail agency, media program operator, and technology platform, serving some of your favorite e-commerce and tech brands (think Casper, Lyft, Grubhub, etc.). We live and breathe direct response marketing, and strive to delight clients with high performing campaigns built around fast, data-driven client service, and premium, unique branding.
What are we like at SLM? We’re passionate, humble, and kind. We value data-driven thinking, speed, persistence, creativity, and teamwork. We love helping clients grow and scale through a tactile medium that has long term brand value. And finally, we get excited about transforming an old-school channel into something new through data, product, technology, and a service-driven mentality.
Share our excitement? Great - we’d love to hear from you!
Our Poplar platform enables clients to create, deploy, and manage direct mail campaigns similar to how a marketer would use a tool like MailChimp to run an email marketing campaign. The platform offers full 1-to-1 personalization and can interface with a client’s CRM or automated marketing platform to trigger mailings based on user behavior and segmentation.
As Vice President of Engineering, you will be responsible for leading the development of both the Poplar direct mail platform as well as the technology that powers all of Share Local Media’s engagement areas. Reporting to the CEO, you will have ownership of several strategic initiatives while leading a small, talented, engineering team, working closely with other leaders and stakeholders throughout the company. This is a unique opportunity to make a lasting and immediate impact.
You will be:
- Leading and mentoring a highly effective team of passionate engineers fostering a high-performance culture.
- Enabling a culture of creativity, collaboration, innovation, and excellence while continuously elevating the quality and caliber of our engineering organization.
- Defining how technology and products will evolve ahead of business needs, and prioritize and deliver the critical changes to enable business growth.
- Helping us evolve our technical infrastructure & operations with a focus on balancing innovation, performance, & security.
- Sustaining and improving the process of knowledge sharing throughout the engineering team.
Our primary technologies are Ruby (on Rails) and React.js. We are using Postgres, Docker, Redis and running on AWS.
- 8+ years of professional experience building software products.
- Technical ability to guide your teams in technology architecture and technical design.
- Experience in setting up the right mechanisms for scaling teams and products.
- Strong experience with at least one common web application language such as Ruby, Python or NodeJS.
- Strong familiarity with AWS (EC2, S3, RDS), database experience (Postgresql, Redshift, NoSQL), and knowledge of CS fundamentals.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Experience working within and building engineering teams in a startup environment is a plus.
What we offer
- Base salary range for this position is $210,000 - $265,000 and is based upon experience and other factors.
- Full-time remote role, and/or on-site in our NYC office
- Ownership and growth opportunities
- Flexible vacation policy
- Robust benefits package
- The opportunity to work with a group of passionate, humble, and kind team members
If you’re looking to be part of something new that is transforming an industry, this is the role for you. You will be empowered to think like an entrepreneur by coming up with new ideas, testing them, implementing them, and then scaling them quickly.