Senior Software Engineer I
Published on December 23, 2022
Our mission is to give renters everywhere greater financial freedom to plan and enjoy their lives. Rhino has launched the industry's first end-to-end deposit platform servicing all stakeholders in the rental ecosystem. Rhino is aggressively responding to the most pressing needs of renters and landlords alike and aims to service more than $45 billion in cash deposits and security deposit insurance for 43 million rental homes nationwide across the entire rental industry.
Our first product eliminates the need for a cash security deposit and puts money back in renters’ pockets with a technology-driven insurance product. With Rhino, millions of renters across the country now have the opportunity to save with our award-winning deposit insurance. In addition to our security deposit insurance, we also offer renters insurance. Our newest offerings include Rhino+, a cash deposit collection and compliance solution for landlords and property managers, and Credit+, which will provide renters at partner communities with a means to build credit through on-time rent reporting.
We’ve already saved hundreds of millions of dollars for renters and are trusted in over 2 million homes nationwide, and most importantly, we’re just getting started…
As a Senior FullStack Engineer at Rhino, you’ll join a formidable, passionate technology team, helping to build the foundation of a company that is positioned to revolutionize renting.
In this role you will:
- Build and improve features to drive Rhino’s explosive growth
- Understand Rhino products at a deep technical level, and become a subject matter expert
- Be a strong advocate for excellent coding practices as well as user experience
- Design and lead the implementation of new products
- Craft and architect secure, compliant, performant, and delightful solutions with complex requirements.
- Provide feedback on features being developed across the company and suggest solutions.
- Participate in code reviews, standups, and planning sessions, while listening to feedback and commenting on others’ approaches. Mentor/train junior engineers
- Use Ruby, TypeScript, SQL, React.JS and other languages day-to-day
- Collaborate with design, product management, marketing, sales, and compliance to help plan and implement new initiatives
- Help choose tools, technologies, and patterns for new products.
- Be a trusted member of the team where your voice is heard and respected
- Build and improve features to support our renter customers and landlord partners.
- Mentor and help level up junior engineers and contractors
- Humble partner with others on our team and throughout the company
In terms of qualifications, we’re ideally seeking:
- 3-8+ years of experience building web technologies
- Deep knowledge of Ruby on Rails
- Familiarity with React, modert HTML, CSS, and Typescript
- Advanced knowledge of SQL and relational databases
- Technical lead experience is a plus
- Familiarity with Heroku preferred
- An Engineer that is excited to quickly ship features in a collaborative, rigorous, and fast-paced environment.
- Ability to demonstrate critical thinking and thought leadership in software development
- Proven ability to break down and execute on complex business-critical requirements
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience with agile software development
Feel you partially or mostly meet the requirements?
- At Rhino, we’re not looking for someone that will check every box. In fact, if we were, we’d miss out on some extremely talented and capable people. Research has shown, in particular, that women and other marginalized groups apply for jobs when they check every box. So, if you find yourself on the fence because you don’t meet every requirement, please apply anyway! We’d love to meet and discuss the opportunity, your skills and passions, and see if we could be a match!
Compensation & Benefits
Base Salary Range: $157,000 - $213,000
Rhino has partnered with a number of compensation benchmarking tools to determine competitive and fair market pay bands for our size and stage. Our goal is to ensure each employee is paid equitably and competitively while also maintaining a consistent and standardized methodology.
Individual pay decisions are based on a number of factors including qualifications for the role, experience level and balancing internal equity relative to other Rhinos.
Base salary is just one part of our Total Rewards Package here at Rhino. In connection with this position, we also offer:
- Competitive cash compensation package including base salary, performance bonus, and other financial perks
- Medical, Dental, and Vision coverage (90% employer contribution) - eligible from your start date
- Unlimited PTO Policy, quarterly team recharge days focused on mental and physical wellness
- Generous Paid Parental Leave
- Stock option plan to give our employees a direct stake in Rhino’s success
- Bi-annual performance reviews and ongoing professional coaching and development opportunities with external partners
- Remote-first work culture with opportunities to collaborate as a team in person
- Opportunities to participate in ongoing diversity, inclusion and equity programming or join an ERG
- 401(k), HSA, Life & Disability Insurance Coverage ($0 employee contribution for additional insurances)
- Monthly lifestyle stipend to fit your needs (meals, wellness, co-working)
Rhino is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees, and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rhino are without regard to race, color, age, religion or belief, sexual orientation, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rhino has a zero-tolerance policy against discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. This includes recruitment, hiring, promotions, transfers, discipline, terminations, wage and salary administration, benefits, and training.