Software Engineer (Platform)
Published on December 31, 2022
We strongly encourage applications from people of colour, the LGBTQ+ community, people with disabilities, neurodivergent people, parents, carers, and people from lower socio-economic backgrounds.
If there’s anything we can do to accommodate your specific situation, please let us know.
You can also see our latest DE&I report here.
Most people come to Cleo to do work that matters. Every day, we fight for the world’s financial health, building a beloved AI that empowers people to make better financial decisions.
Backed by some of the most well-known investors in tech, we’ve reached over 5 million users and plan to double that number each year...which is where you come in.
We’re looking for a brilliant Software Engineer to join our Platform team on our mission to fight for the world's financial health. You’ll be joining a team of adaptable, creative and product-focused platform engineers who help our company iterate faster. We understand our customers, we understand their pain, and we are passionate about helping them.
We’re looking for exceptional Senior Platform Engineers who are excited about scaling a software and data platform to support a growing team and customer base. Our platform stack consists of Ruby, Python, and Terraform and runs on Heroku, AWS, and Kubernetes.
What you’ll be doing
- Joining a multi-discipline platform team that’s constantly iterating on our platform, which forms the backbone for the meetcleo app, as well as internal data products.
- Collaborate with product and data squads, as well as a variety of discipline-specific chapters to prioritise and build tooling to enable the company to move faster on its priorities.
- Take part in deciding where to invest in tooling and technologies to help us scale, both in terms of growing our user base, and growing our technology team.
- Help us find the sweet spot in terms of speed of development, quality, security, and cost, to serve the needs of Cleo at this stage of our business.
- Share knowledge and solicit feedback on proposals via multiple mediums including: writing documentation (we use Notion), sharing info on Slack, and presenting over Zoom in chapter and/or company meetings.
- Collaborating with other leaders in your team to provide technical insight into upcoming platform work, and leading the delivery of work by helping pull everyone together to get it shipped.
- Mentoring your colleagues to help them become the best engineers they can be. You intentionally take time to share your skills and experiences with them and actively support their growth.
- Working with our Ruby on Rails monolith, Postgres database, Redis store, Kubernetes cluster, Redshift database, and Kafka event bus to ensure we have adequate monitoring, alerting, and runbooks so that we can find and fix issues quickly when things go wrong.
- Analysing data, wherever you might find it — querying our postgresql database, investigating our application logs, monitoring our stats and performance metrics — to detect problems and come up with new ideas. Using data to inform decisions about platform improvements as well as health of the platform.
- Supporting your colleagues by joining our in-hours support rota, and, optionally, joining our compensated out-of-hours on-call rota.
- Taking part in shaping all the work your squad does, not just the technical parts. Delivery is a team sport, and we encourage everyone at Cleo to share their ideas, so you can expect to be involved in ideation sessions, architecture reviews, retrospectives, ways of working sessions, OKR reviews.
Here are some examples, big and small, of the kinds of platform feature work our engineers have taken part in over the last year:
- Provided a more robust and repeatable means to build and update our cloud infrastructure by migrating our infrastructure into Terraform. This has enabled us to rapidly build out new areas of our platform, including Kubernetes - in which we’ve been able to provide on-demand sandboxes for our data team to do data processing.
- Enabled our platform to scale in terms of our ability to capture analytics events by implementing an event bus with Kafka and S3 data sink. We were then able to migrate existing events into new event capture system to reduce burden of event processing on Rails monolith.
- Enhanced the company’s ability to experience Cleo as any customer would, regardless of country. We built an extensible framework that enabled us to simulate our partners APIs in non-production environments and provided tooling for any Cleo employee to generate a realistic testing user.
As part of the platform team, you will ship changes multiple times a day to our growing group of Cleoites and see your work having a material impact on the financial health of hundreds of thousands of active users.
Firstly and most importantly, all of the above sounds exciting to you and you want to make a positive difference in society by improving the financial health of our users worldwide.
We’re looking for someone who has strong industry experience (a minimum of 2 years) and an eagerness to cross-train to use ruby on rails and/or python to do this at Cleo. Examples of the types of experience that might be applicable include working as…
- A polyglot engineer at a startup where you had platform/dev-ops responsibilities.
- A platform engineer, ideally using AWS.
- A fully hands-on SRE.
- A dev-ops engineer experienced with Postgres.
You’ve also read our company values and engineering principles which drive our ways of working and help us deliver working software to our users, learn what works and iterate quickly to improve it. You share and embrace these opinions and are passionate about using them to deliver value.
Why should I apply?
- There’s a clear engineering career growth framework. Whether you want to develop your career as a sole contributor or head down the engineering management track, you can grow with us!
- You’ll be joining an open and collaborative team where you’ll be heard and get to make a difference.
- You’ll be joining a team of respected engineers.
- Work where you work best … We’re a globally distributed team. If you live in London, we’d love you to spend one day a week in our beautiful office. If you’re outside of London, we’ll encourage you to spend a couple of days with us a few times per year. And we’ll cover your travel costs, naturally.
- Work when you work best … we have flexible hours to enable you to work at your best.
What do you get for all your hard work?
- A competitive compensation package (base + equity) with reviews every 4 months. You can view our public progression framework and salary bandings here: https://cleo-ai.progressionapp.com/
- Work at one of the fastest-growing tech startups, backed by top VC firms, Sofina, Balderton & EQT Ventures.
- A clear progression plan. We want you to keep growing. That means trying new things, leading others, challenging the status quo and owning your impact. Always with our complete support.
- Flexibility: We can’t fight for the world’s financial health if we’re not healthy ourselves. We work with everyone to make sure they have the balance they need to do their best work.
- Work where you work best. We’re a globally distributed team. If you live in London we have a hybrid approach, we’d love you to spend one day a week or more in our beautiful office. If you’re outside of London, we’ll encourage you to spend a couple of days with us a few times per year. And we’ll cover your travel costs, naturally.
- Other benefits;
- Check out our new benefits package here: https://web.meetcleo.com/blog/big-benefits-energy-the-latest-cleo-employee-benefits
- 25 days annual leave a year + public holidays (+ an additional day for every year you spend at Cleo)
- 401k matching in the US and 6% employer-matched pension in the UK
- 2 months paid sabbatical after 4 years at Cleo!
- Early finish every Friday
- Regular socials and activities, online and in-person
- Online mental health support via Spill
- And many more!
UK App access: The Cleo app is no longer downloadable in the UK. If you’re an existing user, you’ll still have access to the app. But some features won’t be available (just for a little while). Why? 99% of our users are based in the US – where financial health is often overlooked. We’ve decided to shift our focus to where we can provide the most value and make the greatest impact for users who need it most. Then we’ll be able to apply what we learn to better support our UK users in the future.