Senior Software Engineer
About HiMama and Our Mission:
HiMama is improving learning outcomes for children aged zero to five. We are a social purpose business and certified B Corporation that connects families with the early childhood professionals who serve them. Our goal is to empower early childhood educators with affordable tools that enable them to improve developmental outcomes for the children they work with, while educating parents about the importance of their work. If you are excited about being part of a high-growth tech company focused on making a difference in a highly impactful industry, HiMama is the place for you!
Key Product Stats:
500 Million Moments, with 300 push notifications being sent per second
500 Thousand Users, with a new User being added every minute
HiMama’s product can be easily visualized in three distinct parts:
Teachers - For early childhood educators, HiMama is an in-classroom tool for daily documentation, learning & development recording and planning, and communication with parents.
Administrators - For preschool owners/directors, HiMama is a back-office tool for monitoring center activity, administrative reporting, collecting tuition payments, and communicating with parents.
Parents - For families, HiMama is a direct window into their child’s life at daycare: Everything from meal details to photos to learning milestones. And of course, a direct line of communication to their child care center.
At HiMama, our Product & Engineering teams are a tight-knit unit. By using strong product creation methodologies and processes, and by working closely together, we imagine and create great products that immediately make an impact in the lives of millions of educators, parents, and young children.
As a Senior Engineer with HiMama, you'll have the opportunity to make a big impact on our growing product. From feature enhancements to the core product, ground-up engineering on brand-new architecture, data scaling, and system performance on Android, iOS, and web-based applications, our small team does it ALL. Engineering at HiMama requires being an adept problem solver that is hardworking and motivated to get stuff done. Hustle is what this company was built on.
What You'll Be Doing
- Develop high-performance code for web-based applications using Ruby on Rails, GraphQL, and React
- Take point on designing feature architecture by closely collaborating with Product and fellow developers
- Independent research and selection of best tools/methods of implementation to solve problems
- Mentor less experienced engineers. Leverage your knowledge and experience to help level up your team
- Collaborate with Product and Design teams on the best way to solve problems.
- Opportunity to work in mobile development (ReactNative)
- Opportunity to contribute to product strategy/vision and user experience if interested
What We're Looking For
- Agile, competent programmer and problem solver
- Strong communicator who enjoys collaborating with teammates
- Knowledgeable about the newest trends and best practices
- Ambition to work hard in order to make an impact
- Evidence of independence and self-starter attitude
- Propensity to always want to learn and improve
- Strong sense of empathy not only for the user but for others that you work with
- Predisposition for collaboration with teammates as a problem-solving approach
- Bachelor’s degree, from an accredited University or equivalent experience
Required Technical Skills
- 5+ years as a software developer
- 3+ years developing in Ruby/Python (or similar)
- 3+ years working with relational databases
- Experience with GraphQL / React a plus
Don’t have all the requirements but convinced you’ll be able to make an impact? We’d love to hear from you!
- Flexible working arrangements, with the option to work from our vibrant downtown Toronto office or work remotely
- Health benefits package includes medical, dental and vision
- Paid time off, including vacation, personal days, paid sick days, and paid volunteer days
- Opportunities for learning, mentorship and professional development
- Ongoing team-wide and company-wide virtual social activities and success celebrations
HiMama is committed to inclusiveness, equity and accessibility. If you require accommodations at any step of the application or interview process, please indicate so under the "Accommodations Question" box on your application. Accommodations may include but are not limited to: alternative methods of communication, providing a detailed “what to expect”, or modified testing. Please note this list is not exhaustive and we are more than happy to discuss other accommodations as required. If you have questions about HiMama's accommodation process, connect with us at [email protected]
Commitment to Diversity
Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging are central to HiMama's core values. HiMama aims to ensure we provide a safe environment for everyone to thrive while bringing their authentic selves to work. Our mission is to promote an inclusive work space for all employees through Education, Discussion, and Celebration of our differences. Embracing these differences while coming together with a common purpose is what makes our team extra special. Our focus on inclusion and belonging is activated in the day-to-day culture at HiMama through our Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging (DIBS) committee, our bi-weekly DIBS discussions, DIBS Slack community, D&I training and education, volunteer days, donation matching, and more.