Staff Engineer (Ruby on Rails)
Published on January 11, 2023
Join us on our mission to make a better world of work.
Culture Amp revolutionizes how over 25 million employees across 6,000 companies create a better world of work. As the global platform leader for employee experience, Culture Amp empowers companies of all sizes and industries to transform employee engagement, develop high performing teams, and retain talent via cutting-edge research, powerful technology, and the largest employee dataset in the world. The most innovative companies across the globe, such as Salesforce, Unilever, PwC, KIND, SoulCycle, Celonis and BigCommerce depend on Culture Amp every day.
Culture Amp is backed by 10 years of innovation, leading capital venture funds, and offices in the U.S, U.K, Germany and Australia. Culture Amp is recognized as one of the world’s top private cloud companies by Forbes and one of the most innovative workplace companies by Fast Company.
Learn more about how Culture Amp can help you create a better world of work at cultureamp.com.
About the opportunity
- Based within our Amplify Camp, the Polaris Team are working on our 1-on-1 conversation tool to connect people and managers with real, authentic conversations to level-up the employee experience, and often in uncharted technical territory! In terms of our stack, we are a React/TypeScript front end, Ruby on Rails back end, communicating via GraphQL (sometimes over Websockets), Kafka for event sourcing, and we have an appetite to expand our use of event-driven architectures all loaded up on our AWS platform.
- Polaris is a cross-functional team, currently requiring an experienced Staff Engineer to design solutions as we break out of our Rails monolith into independent microservices, and introduce event-driven architecture to support integration with calendar providers.
- Software Engineering at Culture Amp is an inclusive practice distributed across cross-functional, lightweight Agile teams, embracing flexible work arrangements. You’ll be surrounded by talented engineers, learning opportunities, as well as sharing your knowledge with others.
Some of our upcoming work you’ll get a chance to get involved in:
- Breaking down a monolith into microservices
- Designing and implementing our 1-on-1 conversation tool to integrate with our flagship products
- Reshaping our domain model to facilitate not just the meeting itself, but the preparation before a conversation, and it’s position in a whole annual schedule of milestones
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- You’re a Back End (or Full Stack) Software Engineer with experience working with Ruby on Rails.
- You’re looking to contribute to the technical success of Polaris, through implementing excellent coding standards, improved practices, well-designed and well-tested software solutions
- You have an eye for technical detail, and the pragmatism to know when to pursue it
- You’re comfortable with detailed solution design and documentation, in addition to working collaboratively with diverse engineers and cross-functional teams
- Not necessary, but helpful bonus if you have any of the the following: Worked on distributed systems, SaaS products, event sourcing such as Kafka, RabbitMQ, etc, front end experience in React/TypeScript, breaking down a Rails monolithic application to microservices.
Please keep reading!
Research shows that candidates from underrepresented backgrounds often don’t apply for roles unless they meet all the criteria — unlike majority candidates that meet significantly fewer of the requirements.
We strongly encourage you to apply if you’re at all interested: we’d love to learn how you can amplify our team with your unique experience!
We believe that inclusive businesses are better, not only for company performance, but for the world. We have a strong commitment to anti-racism and lead by example. Every step we make as a business towards anti-racism is another step we can take to support our customers in making a better world (of work). View our current commitments to anti-racism.
We ensure you have the tools and support you need to thrive, both inside and outside of work:
- A MacBook — for you to do great work where it suits you
- Share options — it’s important to us that everyone is an owner and can share in our success
- Excellent parental leave and in-work support program — for those starting or growing their family
- Flexible working arrangements — wherever we can we aim to make work support the life you want to lead
- Fun and inclusive digital and (in the future) in-person events
And most importantly: an opportunity to make a real difference in people’s lives.
Here are a few highlights from Culture Amp
- What is a People Geek?
- Learn how Culture Amp has impacted businesses around the world
- What does Culture First mean?
Thank you for taking the time to read this advert. If you decide to apply, as part of your application, we will ask you to complete voluntary diversity questions (excluding Germany). Please watch this video from our amazing DEI Leader, Aubrey Blanche to share more on why we collect the data and how we will use it.