Senior Platform Engineer
Published on January 13, 2023
Ibotta is looking for a Senior Platform Engineer to join our innovative team and contribute to our mission to Make Every Purchase Rewarding by building something great with us. As part of the engineering team, you will work on the platform that powers our products that are used by millions of consumers. We're looking for a self-motivated engineer who has a real passion for building and running large-scale, fault-tolerant applications. Every engineer has input into our engineering culture, our products and development processes, and will have a real impact as part of a small, nimble team.
This position is located in Denver, Colorado or with the option of full-time remote. Candidates must live in the United States, Canada, or Mexico.
What you will be doing:
- Build products and tools, using the right language/tool for the job, that drive valuable impact to Ibotta, our customers, or fellow engineers
- Work collaboratively with a highly talented cross-functional team to design, develop and deliver new products and features that will be used by millions of users
- Use Amazon’s AWS infrastructure and advanced services daily, including serverless architectures
- Stay abreast of the ever-changing technology landscape to identify the best tools and technologies to design and build flexible, scalable, reliable and high-performing applications
- Leverage and contribute to our CI/CD pipeline to deploy code many times daily
- Write tests and participate in code reviews to ensure that we're shipping high-quality, maintainable code
- Own your technical solutions end-to-end from contributing your ideas, to first code commit, to operating in production
- Embrace and uphold Ibotta’s Core Values: Integrity, Boldness, Ownership, Teamwork, Transparency, & A great idea can come from anywhere
What we are looking for:
- 4-5+ years of experience in software development
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Analytics or a related field required
- Fundamental knowledge of object-oriented software design, development and architectural principles
- Deep understanding of development best practices including security, compliance, performance, optimization, cost efficiency, etc.
- Deep understanding of building highly scalable, observable, and fault tolerant platforms using architectural patterns such as retries, circuit breakers, rate limiters, etc on top of horizontally scalable systems
- Strong experience with relevant technologies such as Typescript, Ruby on Rails, Java, Kotin, Nodejs, Vue, Swift, etc, and data stores such as MySQL, DynamoDB, Redis, etc. is valuable, but knowing when to use each is far more important
- Experience implementing observability, monitoring and alerting for services and establishing SLOs for services.
- High level of comfort with debugging and testing approaches, and frameworks from unit testing to automated testing
- Experience with cloud platforms such as AWS, GCloud, or similar.
- Strong experience with DevOps best practices and and Infrastructure as Code tools (e.g. Terraform, CloudFormation, etc)
- Experience implementing architectural concepts such as microservices, serverless, event-driven, platforms, etc.
Some of the traits that we seek in great engineers:
- love to teach and learn from your co-workers
- look for ways to continually challenge yourself and develop as an engineer
- understand that communication is a huge part of your software engineering responsibility and practice it daily
- understand that testing your code is one of the most important aspects of software engineering
- respect diverse perspectives and like collaborating with other engineers to solve hard problems
- understand that delivering products incrementally helps provide more value to the business
- trust your teammates, and embrace healthy conflict and debate. You believe getting it right is more important than being right.
Built in Denver, CO, Ibotta ("I bought a...") is a free mobile shopping app that gives users cash back on groceries and more. Through our partnerships with brands and retailers like Procter & Gamble, Kraft Heinz, Kellogg, Amazon, Walmart, Target and Uber, we’ve delivered over $1B in cumulative cash rewards to our Savers. Guided by our values and our mission to make every purchase rewarding, we come to work energized by the business problems we get to solve, the technology we get to build, and the people we get to innovate (and have fun) with. Ibotta made Inc.’s 2020 list of the 5000 fastest-growing private companies in the U.S. for the third consecutive year. In 2019, we became the first mobile consumer technology company in Colorado to achieve $1B in valuation
To learn more about what our Tech teams are doing day to day, visit Building Ibotta on Medium.com.
- This position is located in Denver, CO or with the option of full-time remote and includes competitive pay, flexible time off, benefits package (including medical, dental, vision), Lifestyle Spending Account, 401k match and equity.
- Base compensation range: $120,000-160,000. This compensation range is specific to the United States labor market and may be adjusted based on actual experience. This range does not apply to Canada or Mexico.
- Ibotta is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Ibotta’s employment decisions are made without regard with race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.
- Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.
- For the security of our employees and the business, all employees are responsible for the secure handling of data in accordance with our security policies, identifying and reporting phishing attempts, as well as reporting security incidents to the proper channels.