Senior Fullstack Engineer
Published on January 12, 2023
Smile Identity builds trust.
Smile Identity is Africa’s leading digital KYC and Identification provider. We’re building the tools that make it easier for millions of Africans to prove their identity online, anywhere they are in the world.
Our products are used by our partners across a wide range of industries such as Banking, Fintech, Social Welfare, Telecoms, and the Shared Economy. We are backed by US and African investors including Costanoa, CRE, Future Africa, Susa Ventures, and Vinod Khosla.
Our team is diverse, spanning 5 offices, 10 countries and 8 time zones. We believe in truth, hard work, fun, and ownership. Every Smiler has the intellectual freedom and autonomy to do their best work. We’d love for you to come with us on this amazing journey!
We are looking for a talented software engineer with a passion for developer-focused and intuitive SaaS products. The job is to help us evolve and expand our product to delight our customers as they discover and integrate our service. The work is remote with opportunities to visit and work out of our offices around the world. Our team is and has always been heavily distributed across the globe.
This is a US-based role, however, because you will be working with our team in Africa as well as our US-based team, candidates on the East Coast may find the timezone a better fit. Most meetings start at 10 am eastern time.
What You Will Do
Work with our product & engineering team in the SF Bay Area, New York, London, Lagos, Nairobi, and Cape Town to turn ideas and customer feedback into Smile ID services and integrations and continuously improve our developer and customer experience. You will work alongside our world-class computer vision and machine learning team to productize identity verification across Africa. Your north star? An incredible developer experience that drives customer success.
- You love to code.
- You are comfortable working independently with periodic guidance from engineering & product teams.
- You are a strong believer in automated testing and CI/CD
- You are entrepreneurial — you take initiative, solve problems and love to troubleshoot.
- You are a great collaborator and can communicate effectively. You enjoy teaching and learning from your colleagues.
- You are focused on customer success and building a product that meets the needs of our developers community
- You are a seeker of truth.
- 5+ years experience in one or more of Ruby on Rails, Node.js, or React.
- Full stack experience preferred but experienced front or backend focused developers are welcome.
- Experience with AWS Lambda, Postgres, and DynamoDB preferred.
- Experience with modern infrastructure, tooling, and instrumentation including:
- Github Actions
- Experience in a high-growth team and/or startup experience.
- Entrepreneurial spirit, a willingness to speak up and speak the truth.
- Ability to communicate and prioritize effectively with a distributed team around the world.
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Stock options
- Opportunities for travel
Autonomy and a chance to work at a mission-driven company with purpose.