Software Engineer II (Ruby on Rails)
Published on January 18, 2023
Storable is looking for a SE II to join its all-remote Insurance product team! As an engineer for our Insurance products, you will be responsible for designing and developing Insurance systems to support our highly trafficked self-storage software. We enable our clients to DO MORE and worry less through building trusted relationships, delivering innovative technology solutions and providing an exceptional, worry-free experience.
How is this different from other software engineering jobs?
As the leading provider of technology solutions in the self-storage space, we are creating innovative experiences in an industry where that has not existed before. Storable is making an investment in a sizable shift to our architecture and this job is an opportunity to get in on that close to the ground floor of our new direction and help shape the future of a leading provider's technical approach. You should be passionate about building the right solutions and be comfortable working in an open-ended dynamic environment where roles are flexible and communication is essential, but most of all, have a real love for coding patterns, and technical design across our teams. This is a great opportunity for you to join a growing team that encourages creativity, teamwork, professional growth, and advancement.
What you'll do every day:
- Designing and develop Insurance product using Ruby on Rails
- Improve our ability to shift quality to the left on our application engineering process
- Communicate and coordinate effectively within the squad, across our technology team, and with our business partners to deliver on top priorities
- Working with other engineers, encouraging engineering best practices demonstrating how to create effective designs and write maintainable, reusable code
- Contribute to documentation and testing of our Insurance applications
- Contribute to the software design of our Insurance applications to improve development velocity, maintenance cost, testing, functionality, platform independence, and performance
- Develop high-quality software design and architecture
- Identify, prioritize and execute tasks in the software development life cycle
- Develop tools and applications with the team by producing clean, efficient code
- Automate tasks through appropriate tools and scripting
- Review and debug code
- Perform validation and verification testing
- Collaborate with internal teams and vendors to fix and improve products
- Document development phases and monitor systems
- Ensure software is up to date with the latest technologies
- Make improvements to existing code as needed
- BS in Computer Science (or equivalent)
- 5+ years of professional work experience in software development
- At least 3 years of experience developing applications using Ruby on Rails
- Experience with relational databases preferably SQLServer or PostgreSQL
- Proficient with cloud technologies (AWS)
- Soft skills to support a positive and productive team environment
- A self-starter with the ability, passion, creativity, and confidence to independently problem solve and produce results
- Ability to work remotely in an environment conducive to productivity
- Analytical mind with problem-solving aptitude
- Solid written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with Agile software development
Nice to haves
- Experience using docker containers, Kubernetes, CI/CD
- Experience with C#, Node.js, React or PHP
- Deep understanding of software design patterns
- Strong history of implementing testing methodologies to move quality to the left. Specific focus on implementing unit tests in a monolithic application base.
All applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.
- Storable is a fully distributed company, but is currently only registered for employment in certain states. To be eligible for employment, you must reside in the following states: AL, AZ, CT, DE, FL, GA, ID, IL, IN, KS, LA, MD, MI, MO, MS, NC, NE, NJ, NV, NY, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WI, WY
At Storable, we believe storage operators should have one partner they can trust to help you get the results they need for their business. That’s why we’ve built the industry’s first fully integrated platform that offers facility management software, facility websites, marketing programs and services, payments, and deeply integrated tenant insurance capabilities all in one solution.
We leverage our platform in combination with our over 25 years of storage industry expertise to help our thousands of storage customers achieve their tenant experience and operational efficiency objectives every single day.
Benefits and Perks:
- Generous health coverage for you and your family, including short- and long-term disability coverage, 401(k) and HSA matching, two-times base salary company-provided life insurance, emergency loans, legal coverage and more.
- Engage remotely! Since 2020, we’ve transitioned to a fully remote environment but that doesn’t mean we’re not connected. We continue to run regular contests, trivia games, and virtual happy hours!
- Instant-access and flexible vacation. We trust you, so we have a ‘take what you need’ vacation policy. No waiting to use it or need for accruals.
- Do More, Be More – company rewards and recognition that add up and can be redeemed for personalized gifts and experiences! Storriors have been able to enroll in scuba certification classes, travel overseas, and redo their back patio among many other things.
- Company anniversaries, birthdays, weddings, adding children to a family, first-time home buyers and more are celebrated.
- We encourage you to get active in the community by joining one of our offsite volunteer and community service events and by using volunteer PTO time.
- Self-care matters, so we offer the opportunity to take a load-off and enjoy a mental health day outside of your normal PTO time.
- Fully-paid parental leave: 12 and 6 weeks for primary and secondary caregivers respectively.
- ’Paw’ternity Leave and Pet Bereavement - we understand that pets are a part of the family and have generous time-off policies, which honor that commitment.
- Caregiver Leave: four weeks of fully paid time away from work to take care of aging dependents or family members, if needed.
- Monthly home data stipend added directly to your paychecks to help cover the cost of home internet, plus a home office sign-on bonus of $250.
Don't check all the boxes? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for a job unless they meet every single qualification, especially in the tech industry. At Storable, we are devoted to strengthening and upholding a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace. If you’re excited about this role but your professional background doesn’t perfectly align with the qualifications above, we encourage you to apply. Even if this role isn’t the right match, we would love to have your resume on file for future opportunities!
Storable is committed to providing equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, Storable will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.