Senior Backend Software Engineer (Ruby)
Published on January 27, 2023
Namely is seeking a Senior Software Engineer to build reliable, scalable, and maintainable services for our payroll, benefits, and HRIS platform. As a Senior Software Engineer, you will be responsible for the design and implementation of major features and components of the Namely platform.
Our teams use a diverse set of tools and languages, including C#, Go, Ruby, Kafka, Docker, Kubernetes, Istio, Spinnaker. We work with React and SPA’s in the front-end, and are investing in an API-driven architecture and GraphQL, powered by gRPC-based services.
We’ve built a strong engineering team to date, but have a lot of work ahead of us, including:
- Migrating from a monolith to a microservice architecture, including a complete overhaul and rewrite of our Payroll Processing and Benefits Configuration
- Defining domain boundaries and implementing robust APIs for internal and public consumption of our Human Capital Management (HCM) services
- Leveling up our platform, including enhancing our test coverage, observability, alerting, and performance
Help us scale our business to meet the needs of our growing customer base and develop new products on the Namely platform. You'll be a critical part of our growing company, leading the way to implement best practices in technology, architecture, and process. You’ll have the chance to work in an open and collaborative environment, receive hands-on mentorship, and have ample opportunities to grow and accelerate your career.
- Implement and maintain containerized gRPC services and deploy these services to Kubernetes on AWS
- Collaborate with the various Namely Labs teams (Product, Design, and Engineering) to design APIs that support new or enhanced product features
- Design and implement migration strategies for legacy code to move existing functionality out of our monoliths, and into modern services
- Design and contribute features to our shared libraries, which provide core functionality used by all of our services
- Mentor junior engineers on the team and assist in their professional growth and development
- Support production services on a rotation
- Review design docs and pull requests for relevant services and repositories
- Support other engineering organizations, such as Site Reliability, as they bring in new platform features and testing technologies
- 5+ years of experience overall writing production software using a server-side language such as Go, C#, Ruby
- Experience designing and developing APIs
- Experience with relational data modeling, and in-depth knowledge of an RDBMS
- Experience developing web applications
- Experience writing maintainable unit tests
- Working knowledge of security best practices
- Proven track record of working cross-functionally with Engineering, Product, Design, and business stakeholders
- Experience using Docker and Kubernetes in production
- Experience with Protobuf / gRPC
- Experience working on distributed systems
- Experience working with Kafka or equivalent messaging bus
- Experience with AWS (S3, EC2, SQS, etc.)
- Familiarity with Payroll/HR Software
- BS/BA degree or equivalent experience
Namely Company Culture Highlights
- Winner of Comparably's Award for Best Places to Work in New York 2021
- Winner of Comparably's Award for Best Leadership Teams 2021
- Winner of Comparably's Award for Best CEOs for Diversity 2021
Check us out on Comparably: https://www.comparably.com/companies/namely
Namely is the first HR, payroll, and benefits platform employees actually love to use. People are at the center of everything we do—from our platform to our staff. Why join us? We believe every company and every employee deserves a great workplace, supported by HR technology they use and love. Most importantly, we believe in giving you the tools you need to do the best work of your career.
We invite you to fill out the EEO survey below as part of our ongoing diversity initiatives at Namely. Your participation in the survey is completely optional and voluntary, and none of the information you provide will be considered in the hiring process or with respect to any employment decision made by Namely. Namely will have access only to anonymized data submitted through these surveys.