Software Engineer, Integrations
Published on January 31, 2023
Hipcamp is looking for a UK-based Software Engineer to work on our integrations with external systems, with a particular focus on Property Management Systems and Channel Managers. We would like to expand our supply of camping inventory, and you will be helping us do that. You can work remotely from any part of the UK, though you will be required to travel to London or Birmingham occasionally for meetings. If you’re excited about working on APIs for a fast moving international startup, we’d like to hear from you.
Hipcamp unlocks access to private land, creating new places for people to get outside and go Camping, Glamping, or Campervanning. We believe that spending time in nature is essential to a happy and healthy human life, and we are deeply passionate about our mission to get more people outside. We are proud of the impact Hipcamp creates by making nature more accessible, providing income to support the protection of private land, and creating community across the urban rural divide.
As an Engineering team, we believe programming is a skill that can constantly be improved. We encourage team members to constantly learn and improve their practice, and we like to deploy continuously (typically several times a week for each engineer). The foundation of our blameless culture is trust in our engineers.
Some technologies we use day to day:
- Github for code and CI/CD
- AWS for hosting
- Ruby on Rails for our API stack and backend
- React/Next.js for our frontend
- Asana for tracking project progress with our Product team and other stakeholders
You will not require experience in all of the above technologies, but will have a chance to learn about all levels of the stack. Communication is a key skill for this role, and you will be given a chance to improve your communication skills with stakeholders and as part of the role. We encourage team members to continue learning and exploring their curiosities. We like to deploy features early and often, learning as much as we can in the process.
Learn more about our company values here.
About the Role
In this role you would be responsible for the evaluation of third party APIs, and writing adapters in order to connect to them, within a structure already created for our API integrations. This will include all parts of the system from the back-end, third-party integration and internal tooling, as well as communicating changes early and often to the broader team. As this is an entry-level role you would receive guidance on all technical areas but we’re looking for people who are keen to learn and willing to work across the stack and with multiple stakeholders to drive a project to success.
What Success Looks Like:
- Evaluate third party APIs for suitability for integrating
- Help implement Integrations with third party APIs from initial planning to deployment
- Learn from other members of the team with all levels of experience and grow as an engineer
- Work on all levels of the stack, including database/sql, backend and sometimes frontend work (though this role should be mostly backend work)
- Working closely with the product and business members of the team in order to deliver a solution which drives business results, not just technical results
- Communicating clearly within the team and the broader Hipcamp org to make sure that everyone involved understands the progress and goals
- Take ownership and responsibility for your work and drive projects to completion
- Foster an inclusive, supportive, and positive environment - we believe in a no-blame culture and supportive environment so that you can learn as you contribute
What Sets You Up for Success:
- Experience designing and implementing api endpoints used by other services
- Experience with Ruby on Rails preferred
- Some knowledge and experience of SQL would be an advantage
- The capacity to work on a fast-moving project with multiple stakeholders, and to communicate clearly and often with your teammates in order to work efficiently remotely
- Strong verbal and written communication skills used to communicate technical details and provide updates to stakeholders
About our Work Environment
Compensation will be a mix of salary and stock options. It is based on your location and will be highly competitive compared to similar-stage companies.
All team members receive a monthly wellness stipend and $1k/year in Hipcash because we believe getting outside is excellent preventative medicine in addition to increasing your creativity, lowering your stress, and making you an overall more awesome human.
Hipcamp is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. In fact we are confident that the most inclusive and diverse teams accomplish the most extraordinary results.
We focus on results, not hours. We believe that clearly defined goals combined with great people, empowerment, and autonomy create the best results. We feel confident that inclusive and diverse teams working on an important cause can accomplish extraordinary things.