Sr. Software Engineer
At Instructure, we believe in the power of people to grow and succeed throughout their lives. Our goal is to amplify that power by creating intuitive products that simplify learning and personal development, facilitate meaningful relationships, and inspire people to go further in their education and careers. We do this by giving smart, creative, passionate people opportunities to create awesome solutions. And that's where you come in:
We’re hiring engineers, who are passionate about technology and education, to help build and enhance core components of Canvas like Calendar, Dashboard, and Modules.
Like our customers, we value a learning culture and expect our engineers to work closely with product and support to build the best possible solutions, not just write code to a spec. We put our money where our mouth is. Engineers at Instructure enjoy an annual company-wide tech conference, biweekly tech talks, and quarterly Hackweeks, all designed to encourage as much exploration and learning as possible.
Much of our work is open source, including our primary product (Canvas).
Check us out on Github: www.github.com/instructure.
Who we are:
- We are full stack engineers with experience building web scale services in a loosely coupled but highly integrated system.
- We are a mixed stack and polyglot team with a deep commitment to quality and to using the right tech for each problem we solve.
What you will do:
- Build, deploy, and maintain core components of Canvas LMS.
- Work in Canvas to use/implement the latest IMS Global interoperability standards.
- Write testable, performant code that can scale to tens of millions of requests per day.
- Mentor and teach other engineers, encouraging best practices, and fostering code reuse.
- Work with a mature technology stack that includes Rails, Node, Docker, Terraform, and React.
What we look for:
- Experience (and interest) in different languages and frameworks. Skilled full stack developer, or an expert back-end developer open to growing towards full stack.
- Ability to solve complex problems requiring in-depth analysis.
- 5+ years of professional software engineering experience.
- Knowledge of Agile best practices.
- Capable Communicator.
- Passionate about learning new stuff.
- Knowledge of, and adherence to coding best practices.
- Commitment to code quality with experience testing up and down the pyramid.
- Ability and desire to work in an open and team-oriented environment.
- BS in Computer Science or related degree preferred.
Get in on all the awesome at Instructure:
- Hackweek, three times a year!
- Yearly internal tech conference
- Bi-weekly tech-talks
- Competitive salary and 401k.
- Medical, dental, disability, and life insurance.
- HSA program, vision, voluntary life, and AD&D.
- Tuition reimbursement.
- Unlimited vacation, and flexible work schedules.
- Gym club reimbursements and rewards-based fitness tracking.
We’ve always believed in hiring the most awesome people and treating them right. We know that the more diverse we are, the more diverse our ideas will be and when we openly welcome those ideas, our environment is better and our business is stronger.
At Instructure we participate in E-Verify and yes, in case you didn't catch it from the above, we are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All Instructure employees are required to successfully pass a background check upon being hired.