Published on February 16, 2023
At Instructure, we believe in the power of people to grow and succeed throughout their lives. Our goal is to amplify that power by creating intuitive products that simplify learning and personal development, facilitate meaningful relationships, and inspire people to go further in their education and careers. We do this by giving smart, creative, passionate people opportunities to create awesome. And that's where you come in:
We’re hiring an awesome engineering manager to lead one of our Canvas teams! We're looking for someone who is passionate about technology and education, to help build new features into our existing product Canvas and its services.
As an Engineering Manager, you will be responsible for overseeing a team of engineers and ensuring that they are able to deliver well architected and sustainable solutions on time and within scope. You will work closely with your engineers, product manager, and design partner to ensure that all projects are delivered with the highest level of quality and meet or exceed customer expectations. Additionally, you will be instrumental in fostering a collaborative team environment and supporting the professional growth of individual engineers. Your leadership and mentorship will help to ensure that team members are able to reach their full potential and contribute effectively to the success of the organization.
Like our customers, we value a learning culture and expect our engineers to work closely with product and support to build the best possible solutions, not just write code to a spec. Engineers at Instructure enjoy an annual company-wide tech conference, biweekly tech talks, and quarterly Hackweeks, all designed to encourage as much exploration and learning as possible.
Much of our work is open source, including our primary product (Canvas). Check us out on Github: www.github.com/instructure.
What we do:
- We build innovative web applications that rely on modern tools to create engaging user experiences.
- We are cloud native. For this job, that means collaborating with your team to craft low-latency, high availability web services that can provide exceptional user experiences.
- We grow great products by investing in the teams that create them: the hallmarks of our engineering culture are constructive code review, a bias to action, thoughtful mentorship, and regular communication.
- This is a hands-on development position - you will be doing technical discovery, coding and managing a team.
What we look for:
- Demonstrated talent as a mentor and leader — when was the last time you helped someone achieve their career goals? Do you have a history of shipping great software on-time and on-budget?
- Strong technical skills that will allow you to make technical decisions, provide technical feedback to your team through code reviews, and write code alongside your teammates.
- Demonstrated ability to own, improve, and scale existing code.
- The ability to collaborate effectively with product and program management, QA, and UI/UX to translate user and business needs into superior experiences.
- The ability to collaborate effectively with peers that use the services you own.
- A passion for people and for software.
- 7+ years of professional software development experience.
- BS or greater in Computer Science preferred.
Get in on all the awesome at Instructure:
- Competitive salary, equity and 401k.
- Medical, dental, disability, and life insurance.
- HSA program, vision, voluntary life, and AD&D.
- Tuition reimbursement.
- Paid time off, 11 paid holidays, and flexible work schedules.
- Gym club reimbursements and rewards-based fitness tracking.
- iMacs or MacBooks
- Quarterly hack week, where individuals and teams can experiment and build whatever they want
- Yearly internal technology conference
- Monthly technology talks
Final salary is subject to location and experience. Salary Range: $134,400 - $170,000
We’ve always believed in hiring the most awesome people and treating them right. We know that the more diverse we are, the more diverse our ideas will be and when we openly welcome those ideas, our environment is better and our business is stronger..
At Instructure we participate in E-Verify and yes, in case you didn't catch it from the above, we are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All Instructure employees are required to successfully pass a background check upon being hired.