Full Stack Software Engineer (Ruby On Rails)
You will work on small teams to build scalable infrastructure for our government -- designing, implementing, and delivering services that millions of Americans depend on. You care deeply about working on technology that improves people’s lives, but don’t think technology is always the answer. You are passionate about building large-scale systems that are inclusive, well-designed, fast, scalable, and secure, and you'll help set high standards for our teams in terms of simplicity, empathy, and accessibility.
The full stack engineer in this role will be responsible for developing end to end systems for one of Nava's major government partners. The objective is to modernize an existing legacy enterprise platform to improve its public facing processes, and experiences which will enable users to have more access to the programs and services that they need, in real-time, in a more user friendly and uncomplicated way. This individual will be involved in everything, from strategy, and planning through to post production testing, and support.
What you'll do
- Working with fellow Nava engineers to design, review, and build well-crafted software.
- Collaborate with government partners and other contractors to architect, implement, and deploy new systems and improvements to existing systems.
- Working in an agile manner to efficiently ship new features that meet user needs.
- Creating tools and processes to automate our development, testing, and production workflows.
- Writing and reviewing technical documentation, performing code reviews.
- Participating in an on-call rotation to support production systems and investigate issues when they occur.
- Taking part in hiring activities (e.g., submitting referrals, conducting interviews, and attending interview debriefs), as needed.
Required Experience & Skills
- At least 3 years of experience as a full stack engineer contributing equally to front-end and back-end design and development initiatives, in a fast paced, dynamic environment in a self directed manner, that required minimal supervision.
- At least 3 years of professional experience building modern web applications that are highly scalable, available, and performant, using languages and cloud frameworks such as Java, C#, Python, React, Node, AWS, AWS Lambda, and Azure. Ruby on Rails experience is a must have.
- Experience implementing RESTful and WebAPIs that can support interoperability with multiple systems.
- Experience developing modularized code using modern agile practices, and automated testing, including unit, integration, and accessibility tests.
- A working understanding of CI/CD tools such as Jenkins, CircleCI or equivalent.
- Strong familiarity of Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.1 AA standards to deliver digital services that are not just minimally accessible, but a simple and intuitive experience for all users, including those who rely on assistive technologies such as screen readers.
Targeted Salary Range between $135k-$153k
This position is pending contract award
● Must have lived in the United States for at least three (3) of the past five (5) years.
● An active green card or citizenship is required.
● Candidates who are offered a job with Nava must possess work authorization which does not require sponsorship by the employer for a visa now or in the future.
● Offer of hire is contingent upon completion of a background check that includes a criminal record history review.
● Applicants selected for this position may be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or applicants who are eligible for security clearances.
Perks working with Nava
● Your well-being is important to us, so we offer highly competitive benefits for medical, dental, and vision
● 20 days of PTO accrued, 12 days paid federal holidays, 5 floating holidays, unlimited sick leave
● 16 weeks of fully paid parental leave and weekly meal deliveries during leave
● Sabbatical Leave
● 401k contributions match at 4% of your salary
● Flexible work arrangements
● $1,000 new home office set up budget, monthly phone allowance
● Monthly partial reimbursement for utilities (where applicable)
● $2,000 annual tuition and professional development budget
● Equity stock options
● Employee referral program
● Commuter Benefits
● Short and Long-Term Disability Insurance
● Life and Accidental Death
● Diverse, inclusive, highly collaborative, and vibrant culture fostering remote work!
You can work in a hybrid work arrangement from one of Nava’s offices in NYC, DC, or San Francisco. We also have fully remote options if you reside in one of the following states:
Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, DC, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, North Carolina, New Jersey, New York, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Texas, Tennessee, Virginia, Washington.
*If you are not living in one of the states listed above, unfortunately, you will not be considered for a position at this time.
Nava PBC equal opportunity employer that is deeply committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, age, gender, religious or political beliefs, national origin or heritage, marital status, disability, sex, sexual orientation or gender identity, genetic information, pregnancy, status as a protected veteran or any characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. Our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion not only reflects our values as a public benefit corporation but also enriches our ability to do our work. Learn more about where we are today and hope to be by 2025.
Please contact the recruiting team at [email protected] if you would like to request reasonable accommodation during the application or interviewing process.
We participate in E-Verify. Upon hire, we will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. This role is required to work from the contiguous United States.