Ruby on rails developer
BBC Maestro is a platform that provides inspirational courses taught by the most experienced creators in the world. Our products are used by thousands of people worldwide.
We're looking for Ruby on Rails developers as we look to support our product development, help us mature our platforms and continue to provide a great user experience.
About the role
You'll be tasked with supporting our platform growth by adding new features and functionality to the BBC Maestro platform as well as helping us make the platform more robust, well tested and developing tools for automation.
You'll work closely with the CTO, project managers and other team members. We’ve got some interesting projects over the coming months that include:
- Implement payments and subscription functionality
- Work on internal tools that help us understand customer needs
- Develop an API for our upcoming apps
- Build features that help people learn through technology
- Continuously improve our developer experience
How we work
Our product and engineering teams work in an agile way using the scrum framework. You’ll be involved from early product discussions, through to architecture planning, ticket creation, implementation and reviews from QA and other engineers.
We use GitHub Flow and utilise feature flags to allow us to work as iteratively as possible, release small changes multiple times daily and make pull requests manageable for peer review.
Our technology stack
We use a multitude of technologies. We don’t require you to have experience with them all though:
- Ruby on Rails
- SASS + CSS BEM
- AWS Services - CloudFront, Amazon Elastic Transcoder, SNS & S3
- CDN Services - CloudFlare
- RSpec / Cypress
We're looking for a highly motivated developer with good Ruby and Ruby on Rails experience. You'll need to be able to work with different stakeholders to understand requirements from both a technical and product standpoint.
Here are some requirements for the role:
- You're proficient with Ruby on Rails with at least 3 years of experience
- You've worked on at least one SaaS product
- You've got experience with Git and GitHub
- You are able to live and work in the UK without restriction
- Empathy - As part of a small team you'll work closely with various stakeholders and customers. You'll be expected to take time to develop solutions that consider everybody's view.
- Great communication - You must be able to clearly communicate your ideas and strategy with others as well as incorporate team decisions into your work.
Preferred (but not essential)
- Experience working with Stripe
- Experience with Stimulus.js
- Experience building APIs
We ❤️ Diversity
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.
We positively encourage applications from underrepresented groups.