Remote Senior Software Engineer
About This Role
Hello, prospective pickle! Design Pickle is looking for a versatile and passionate Senior Software Engineer to join us in pushing our products and technology forward. You will play a key role in building the next generation of creative products that power collaboration between Design Pickle’s customers and the global network of creatives. You will use a wide range of technologies, programming languages, and systems and be responsible for all aspects of software development.
The ideal candidate will combine superb technical, research, and analytical capabilities with a demonstrated ability to get the right things done quickly and effectively. Given our aspirational vision to be the most helpful creative platform in the world and the nature of our products, this role requires entrepreneurial drive and thinking, comfort with ambiguity, and experience building large-scale, high-performance web applications/systems for a global audience.
If you have ever wanted to make a significant contribution and help shape the trajectory of a startup, this role is for you!
Reports to: Director of Engineering
On a daily basis, works closely with Product Designers, Product Managers, and Software Engineers.
Location: Design Pickle is a fully remote company with a Company Hub in Scottsdale, Arizona.
Who We Are Looking For
First, Design Pickle is anything but typical. We’re a group of hard-working, creativity-loving individuals from around the world.
Do we love pickles, too? Most of us! But don’t stress if pickles aren’t your thing. It’s not a deal-breaker. We do look for a passion and interest in something, though, because our employees’ uniqueness is what helped make us the great company we are today.
We stand by our vision, purpose, and values, and these are mission-critical to how you show up every single day.
Specific to your role, we’re looking for individuals who have...
- 6+ years of enterprise software development experience.
- 4+ years of programming experience with object-oriented programming languages such as Ruby and Java.
- 3+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (technical architecture, design patterns, reliability, and scaling) of new and current systems.
- Working knowledge of Ruby on Rails
- Experience leading large-scale projects, communicating, and working across functions to drive solutions.
- History of delivering products/systems through their entire lifecycle, from idea conception, technical planning, implementation, launch, measurement, and maintenance/iteration.
Bonus Pickle Points:
- Demonstrated leadership abilities and experience driving operational excellence and best practices within a product and engineering organization.
- Familiarly with SaaS, containerization, microservices architecture, continuous integration, and delivery.
- Hands-on AWS experience with production workloads.
- Knowledge or strong interest in Go or Swift.
- Knowledge of machine learning or neural networks.
- Experience with agile software development practices.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills (we’re a remote-first company, so effective communication is vital).
- BS/MS in Computer Science or a related technical field.
Key Objectives and Responsibilities
- Design, implement and lead projects for new and existing collaboration products and features.
- Contribute to broader architecture discussions to make our systems even more resilient and scalable.
- Collaborate with product managers, product designers, and other engineers to identify customer needs and build technical solutions.
- Design and build robust service APIs that interact with internal and external clients.
- Identify and resolve performance and scalability issues.
- Provide technical guidance and mentorship to peers through pair programming, code reviews, application of new technologies, and best practices.
Benefits, Compensation, and Perks
Uncapped PTO: Hate seeing your PTO hours decrease as the year goes on? Not anymore! There is no cap or number associated with the amount of PTO days you can request.
Major medical healthcare: We major medical plans through United Healthcare which is managed seamlessly through Employee Navigator
Dental and vision insurance: We work with Beam Dental and VSP for ancillary coverage.
Remote-work flexibility: More productive at home? Not based in Scottsdale, AZ? Fine with us! We are a remote-first company with people all over the country.
401K: Plan for your future with a 401K, managed by Securian Financial, with a 3% company match.
World-class Company Hub: More productive in an office? Also, fine with us! Our Company Hub is set up with state-of-the-art standing desks, high-definition monitors, breakout rooms for meetings and calls, a podcast studio, a relaxation room, a merch wall, and a cold plunge! ….yes, we said a cold plunge.
In-office gym: Our Company Hub also has a small CrossFit-style gym with Peloton studio available for any pickles to use!
Life-changing massage chair: We change lives through creativity...and massages. Our team has traveled far and wide to take advantage of a life-changing massage chair that is housed in our Company Hub. One massage is all it will take to radically transform your life.
New parent leave: Design Pickle encourages all primary caregivers to take up to 8 weeks leave for a new family member, including adoption, at full salary.
Paid training and personal development: We offer a yearly stipend for employees to continue to grow their skillset and learn things to help them in their careers.
Pet insurance: Have a furry friend? Design Pickle offers pet insurance through United Pet Care for discounted vet visits, medication, and procedures.
Team retreats, social events, and adventures: Pickle collaboration is important to us! We host regular social events, get-togethers, and experiences for our staff.
About Design Pickle
Design Pickle was founded in 2015 with a vision to change lives through its creative software, solutions, and services. Since then, the company has grown to be the #1 flat-rate creative services company in the world. We have served tens of thousands of clients with a team that spans the globe.
In 2019 & 2020, Inc. 5000 listed Design Pickle as one of the fastest-growing companies in America.
We are a company that takes our core values to heart:
Be the SPARK
Let your fire and passion inspire someone else’s day.
Seek out new ways to improve performance, satisfaction, and impact for our customers. Less is more rules supreme.
Give it to me STRAIGHT
Lead with radical and professional candor in every situation. Graciously accept when others do the same. Move forward together and aligned.
HELP when nobody's watching
Find opportunities to support each other and our clients beyond the day-to-day.
Lean into HARD
We thoughtfully select our challenges and tenaciously commit to conquering them.
Make your own PICKLES
We are a collection of incredible individuals who challenge ourselves and each other to grow. Change is celebrated as a sign of progress.
You can learn more about our company, our vision, and what we stand for on our website and social channels. We can’t wait to meet you—thank you in advance for your application!
Design Pickle is an Equal Opportunity Employer. You will often hear members of the Design Pickle team refer to themselves as “pickles”. Pickles come in an infinite amount of variety, and as such, the pickles at Design Pickle celebrate every aspect of our diverse workforce and do not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, nationality, (dis)ability, gender, gender expression, or sexual orientation.
All employment decisions are made on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need. The right pickle for the right opportunity. Design Pickle is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Notice to Staffing and Recruiting Agencies
Design Pickle will not accept resumes from any source other than the candidate. Any unsolicited resume sent to Design Pickle will be considered Design Pickle sourced.