About the Opportunity
As an early engineer at Settle, you will help define and build impactful and results-oriented systems, products, and features. We have great product market fit, organic growth, and a long-term road map. Now we’re looking for generalist backend and full-stack product-minded engineers who can take our business to the next level. Someone who thinks long term to design the foundational systems we'll be using for the next 5 years but who also knows how to avoid scope creep and deliver incremental value quickly. Who knows how to drive projects to completion and can fluidly communicate their ideas and progress with both technical and non-technical colleagues. Who thinks iteratively, moves quickly, and puts the customer at the center of everything they do.
How You'll Make an Impact
- Design and build data models, services, and APIs to power our web app.
- Utilize heuristics, automation, and machine learning to streamline customer-facing workflows, internal underwriting decisions, and fraud detection.
- Scale and secure our systems to support an increasing number of users, features, business requirements, partners, and engineers.
- Collaborate with the team to build robust testing and deployment frameworks.
What Sets You Apart
- CS fundamentals plus real-world experience. 2+ years of industry experience preferred. You have prior experience and/or fluency in an OOP language, ideally with an ORM framework like Django or Hibernate, and a willingness to learn Ruby on Rails (our primary backend language).
- Webapp architecture design. The design choices we make today will form the foundation of our tech for years to come. You have an end-to-end understanding of how everything fits together from infrastructure up through display and love designing reliable and extensible systems.
- Adaptability. We’re a startup and project needs can change quickly. You’re someone that loves to jump into a new problem, learn what’s needed, and solve it.
- Customer-centric mentality. You care about the user, strive to understand their needs and build tools to solve their problems.
- Leadership. With rapid growth, we need and expect everyone to be a leader. You have the humility and self-awareness to understand and navigate the unknown. You hold yourself and others to a high bar. You enjoy mentoring and growing other engineers.