Ruby on Rails Developer
SmartFinancial offers smarter insurance products, delivered by people and powered by technology.
We are a technology company that’s shaking up the insurance industry one policy at a time. SmartFinancial has revolutionized the insurance-buying experience with a transparent insurance-technology platform that pairs people with the right insurance carrier.
Founded by a team of insurance and technology experts, SmartFinancial focuses on delivering measurable results and exceptional customer service. We provide a similar resource for insurance partners as they adopt the new technology platform to reach the right consumers. SmartFinancial operates an innovative real-time marketplace that gives insurance clients the ability to optimize marketing campaigns and maximize ROI.
We are experiencing rapid growth so we are seeking a Ruby on Rails Developer to help continue to innovate and upgrade the technology layer of the insurance value chain. As our Ruby on Rails Developer, you will work on full-cycle product development, working with cross-functional teams spanning from ideation to product design to business implementation. You will be building new applications to help power our marketplace that connects millions of people with thousands of insurance agents and carriers.
What matters most to us is creating an environment where teams can grow without micromanagement and everyone feels comfortable sharing and implementing their ideas.
A typical week will start off with a quick meeting to review the current iteration and plan out the week. Thereafter, we are heads down and work on our tasks via our project management system and conventions. We are looking for a person who not only can grok the job at hand but knows the best approach to doing it right. We are primarily a Rails shop but have some JS apps as well, so we’ll want a person who is very knowledgeable on Rails best practices from coding to hosting.
We believe in promoting a culture of operational excellence by focusing on testing our code, writing documentation, and maintaining powerful APIs.
How you will make an impact:
• Work closely with the design and development team to create high-quality web apps
• Design and develop testable production-level, clean code
• Write effective and powerful APIs
• Develop efficient algorithms and data structures to improve key business logic and processes
• Research and provide alternatives to existing development practices, tools, etc.
• Optimize web pages and back-end UIs
• Modify existing software to correct errors, or to improve its performance
• Develop and direct software system testing and validation procedures, programming, and technical
• Promote a culture of collaboration, creativity, and data-driven decision making
• Potential to grow and manage a team of junior developers
• Experience: 1+ years in a production environment
• Ability to communicate clearly both verbally and create clear technical documentation
• Have a strong sense of awareness of our business and how you are contributing to it
• Self-Motivated – we seek mature professionals with a strong desire to learn and continue challenging themselves
• Be available for meetings weekly to cover existing and upcoming projects
Our tech stack:
• Testing: RSpec, Capybara, Jasmine
• Database: MySQL, Redis, Mongo
• OS: Linux, Bash, MacOS
• Utility: Git, AWS
• Front-End: Bootstrap, CSS, HTML5
• DevOps: Ansible, Chef, Jenkins we may have many hats so if you’re comfortable with provisioning servers and being in a shell environment you’ll have an extra edge
• CI Systems: Semaphore
What we offer:
• Competitive pay
• 401k with company match
• Health insurance
• Stock options
• Team lunches
• Advancement opportunities - we promote within
• Work in a dynamic and energetic environment
We’re a team of dedicated people who are excited to come to work every day. SmartFinancial offers a fun and engaging company culture in which everyone is encouraged to share ideas and work together. We’re always looking for excited, dedicated people to join our team. SmartFinancial has been named one of the “Best Place to Work” in Orange County four years in a row!